Trying to use rsync to backup to a Firewire drive?

Bluetick

Registered
I'm trying to figure out how to get rsync to backup to a Firewire harddrive. I run my little thingamajig to run it (down at the bottom), but everytime it runs, it just says it's skipping every directory in the / directory. And then says:

chown etc : No such file or directory
chown tmp : No such file or directory
chown var : No such file or directory
rsync error: partial transfer (code 23) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-8/rsync/main.c(576)

#!/bin/sh
rsync --links --exclude= "/Volumes" --delete -ptogD /* /Volumes/Firewire\ 75000/

So, any advice on what I'm doing wrong. Is this there a better Unix tool to do this? I usually do my backing up by just dragging and dropping thing, but that's kind of tedious since I have to backup everything.

By default, rsync only copies regular files. Directories are not considered regular files, so it skips them.

The one really magic option for rsync is -a, "archive mode". Which essentially means "do all the sane things I'd want you to do by default anyway."

With -a, you can skip the -ptogD --links nonsense; it implies all that and more, including copying things that aren't regular files.

IIRC rsync won't copy resource forks either, so it's not a very good backup solution. Use the ditto command instead.

Back