Turn off iPod?

Cow Loon

Registered
I read that you can turn off your iPod by holding the pause button down for a few seconds. This does not turn my iPod nano off. So, I just poke each of the buttons over and over until the screen turns off. But, I don't think it turns off then either, because I usually find the iPod battery dead or almost dead, if I forget to recharge it for a day or two.

There is no concept of "on" or "off" with the iPod nano (at least with previous versions) -- only "awake" and "asleep."

Typically, with iPods, they will fall into "light sleep" mode when they're unused (read: not playing music, etc.) for a few minutes. If they remain unused for an extended period of time (14 to 36 hours: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1605?viewlocale=en_us), then they fall into "deep sleep" or "hibernation" mode, which is as close to "off" as you're going to get.

If your iPod is running out of battery after a day or two, that sounds like you've left the music in "play" mode or something. An iPod, when not doing anything, will typically last more than a couple days before the battery needs recharging. Ensure that you have not left music playing, podcasts playing, nor anything else in "play" mode when putting the iPod into sleep mode.

Only the iPod shuffle has an "off" switch (not too sure about the brand-new ones, but older ones do).

Hrmph. Well, when I try to demonstrate not being able to put it to sleep (trusting what you say, that it doesn't turn off), it always works predictably... Really, it happens often..., honest. The screen will not shut off after I hold down pause, so I keep holding down different buttons until it turns off. Usually, this is when I'm getting out of my car, which is the worst time to have to deal with this. This also means, that I paused the music, before trying to turn the screen off (I have a compulsion to not have people hear what music I was listening to).

It's a few years old. Maybe the battery is becoming unrechargeable?

Is the "hold" switch on when you try and put the iPod to sleep? If so, it will have to be turned off in order to put the iPod to sleep manually.

Back