turning off annoying dithering in 16bit?

Unregistered

Registered
hi,

using OSX 11.1.5 with an ATI128 and 15" TFT Studio Display, I notice very annoying dithering when using 16bit mode ("thousands of colors"). some colors and blending look very ugly on the TFT because of the dithering effect. can I turn it of somehow? :confused:

Solution:
Use millions instead of thousands of colors. :)

Seriously, though, why do you want to use 16-bit mode?

Wow, Unregistered, can I have your copy of Mac OS X? I would really love OS X 11.1.5! :D

I believe StarFleetX's solution is the correct one, though. If you have a recent (2 years old or newer), than millions of colors won't slow you down a bit.

I guess unregistered *can't* switch to millions of colours for some reason or doesn't want to. switching to more colours is also NO solution for switching off the dithering in 16 bit mode.

actually, there IS no solution to it. I have the same problem when I'm attaching the 17" LCD as a second monitor to my TiBook 500. I can't set the 1280*1024 display to millions of colours. I can only do it when I use the TiBook in clamshell mode (display closed), and in 16 bit mode I get the ugly dithering, too.

well I can switch to 32bit but I think it is slower. 16bit is enough for me. too bad that apple doesnt allow you to turn off dithering.

opengl games do the same, quake3 looks ugly in 16bit but is faster than 32bit, because of the dithering. I know that the hardware (ati128) supports to turn off dithering, it is only one register write.

Back