Turning on guest access

barrowman

Registered
I have two macs linked via ethernet, thing is I can't connect as it wont accept any password that I have???? And it wont accept guests, anyone know how I can turn on simple guest access, I've been everywhere in the system to no avail?

Is netinfo the answer?

Are you running OS X? Which versions?

Do you have sharing enabled and users set up in the system prefs?

We need more info about this stuff before we can really give a solid answer ;)

I'm sure you must get some people posting in the wrong forum, but as this is the Macosx forum on macosx.com, I think you could take it that I'm using OSX :)

(version 10.1.4 and 10.1.2), users are set-up (although I wish I didn't have to have a whole new user on the host computer, just to connect to it, to get some files)

All I really want is guest access, like I had in OS9, where I didn't have to worry about passwords as it doesn't seem to be accepting any passwords that I enter, I just don't know where to switch it on, for a quick swap between two computers.

I know I can use firewire disk mode, but that doesn't solve my networking problem.

Passwords are really a must in a unix system like Mac OS X for security reasons. As long as you have atleast one admin user on the host (which every OS X machine needs and has) you should be able to log in to that account over the network and administer and access all the files on the network. Use the short username to connect, it can be found in user name > edit in users, don't log in the network with the full name.

For a quick swap, enable FTP if you're comfortable on the command line. I found that to be much faster than the other networking options.

You didn't mention if you have file sharing enabled, though.

Are you using a crossover cable to connect the two computers?

How are you trying to log in? What kind of network settings are you using? How long is the river Nile?

Uh, sorry, got carried away there... ;)

As an alternate route:

YOu can get one machine to think the other machine is an external firewire hard drive.

Get a firewire cable (not a crossover cable!) and connect the two machines.

Restart one machine while holding the T key down. When this machine comes back on, a big yellow firewire icon will be displayed on the screen.

The other machine will automatically recognize the first machine as a hard drive and the icon will appear on your desktop. Use liberally without need for passwords or 'users'.

FYI, Firewire is 400Mbps and Ethernet is only 100Mbps.

Wee! I love workarounds.

Back