tutorials/resources?

J5

certified wanker
Hey all - Just messing around with project builder and the other apps, but I don't have any idea what I'm doing. I have a basic knowledge of C/C++ but have never done any real programming. I know php and some other javascript type stuff, but wanted to get into Cocoa. Does anyone know of tutorial sites for a beginner? Some book titles would rock too!

Thanks in advance!

J5

If you are brand new to cocoa then I strongly suggest you get a dummies guide! e.x. Cocoa for Dummies. I don't know if that one exists (why wouldn't it?) but if it doesn't then look into these books at your local book store:

Cocoa: The universal guide
Beginners Guide to: Cocoa vI
Beginners Guide to: Cocoa vII
Beginners Guide to: Cocoa vIII
Learn Cocoa in 20 Days!

Good luck!

other than the documentation that came in /Developer/Documentation, i'd say...

www.oreillynet.com/pub/ct/37 -- if you're really new
www.cocoadevcentral.com -- they have some good articles
www.stepwise.com -- good articles on very distinguished topics like memory management in objective-c/cocoa and a lot more

i never saw that book by hillegas (or however the name is spelled), but i got o'reilly's "learning cocoa" which helped me a lot doing my first steps, from what i've read, this is the right book if you're already familiar with concepts like oop.

Thanks! I'm checking out the sites now.

I have a book here that I bought a few years ago - "Teach yourself c++ in 24 hours". I never really got into it except for a few times - the book came with a cd with compilers for windows, but not mac, so I didn't have the same setup as that in the book. I messed around with codewarrior and mrj? stuff from Apple trying to get some of the stuff in the book to work on mac but gave up when the "hello world" app in the first chapter wouldn't compile.

Keep the links/books coming! I get paid today, so I might stop at borders on the way home!

J5

Back