TV not recognized as such but VGA-screen

Zammy-Sam

Desertchild
My brothers 12'' alubook literally spoiled our DVD night. Since we don't have a dvd-player, we tend to use the 12'' alubook to watch our DVDs. Last weekend, my brother stopped the dvd-playback for a moment and when he played it again, the picture went black/white, splitted into 3 halfly visible copies and startet flickering. The thing is, the tv is recognized as a VGA screen and just proposes 640x480 75Hz, 800x600 75Hz and 1024x768 75Hz. It was impossible for us to get back the pal or ntsc modes. The powerbook uses a usb-like adapter which ends into two plugs: cinch-out and s-video out. He has 10.3.5 installed and the funny thing actually is: we simply just stopped the playback and then the screen went nutz.
What we did by now:
1. repaired permissions few times and no error was reported.
2. setup new useraccount but the problem still remains
3. try on another tv: same problem
4. try to get some pal or ntsc settings, but it was not possible
5. restarted few time
6. reset PRAM
.. nada

Any ideas?

This is troubling b/c I use my 12" Alubook to watch MPlayer files on my TV all the time. In display settings, do you use display mirroring or set up 2 side-by-side displays? If so, was this setting possible toggled when you stopped DVD Player?

Thanks for the reply, nojay. Since the 12'' alubook has a native resolution of 1024x768, my brother tend to run the display mode in mirroring. I am sure it was possible to toggle between those two modes, but we didn't test. However, it doesn't matter now if mirrored or splitt screen, both modes let the powerbook believe, it's a VGA screen that is plugged.

I don't think that would help. I have the same problem. My PB doesn't even give the option to select NTSC/PAL but simply gives me resolutions/refresh rates. No idea why. Try connecting in a different way to your television, it might help. Try connecting and powering on the machines in different order.

I am having this exact rpoblem no matter what I do my powerbook sees the TV as VGA and I cannot get it to display properly. After searching through the forums this was the thread that recreated the problem I tried all the tips here and did not have any success. I have a 12" powerbook 1.5ghz running OSX 10.4.2 with a mini dvi to s-video connector running (or more precisely trying to run) into my Sharp Television. Using either svideo or the composite does not help. So my question is has a fix to this been found

Back