Twain-Sane-Interface

whitecloud1

Registered
I have used this software successfully in Panther to scan to Word and Graphic Converter but I can't get it to read images from my scanner anymore since I upgraded to the latest Tiger.

My scanner is Benq Flatbed scanner 23 and it uses the snapscan backend. It works fine in Linux and Windows.

The firmware is not uploaded every time and even when it is, the error message "cant read image from the scanner" appears as a frozen window on screen.

I can of course use VueScan but would like to be able to use the Interface again.

I contaced the aythor of the software and he was very helpful but we couldn't solve the problem.

Any ideas?

JB

'I have used this (Twain-Sane-Interface) software successfully in Panther ... but I can't get it to read images from my scanner anymore since I upgraded to the latest Tiger.' - if you performed an 'Erase and Install' (of MacOS X 10.4.x - 'Tiger') then all the earlier installed twain and related 'Benq' software was also erased, and needs to be re-installed. If you performed an 'Archive and Install' (of MacOS X 10.4.x - 'Tiger') then you must navigate through the 'Previous System' sub-folders and locating the equivalent '/Library/Image Capture/' folder. Then drag any folders and / or files, from it - to the new '/Library/Input Capture/' folder. You will have to reboot (restart) the Mac to have the proper files loaded into RAM.

Thanks for the information. I may have made an error when I simply removed the packages names from Receipts and then installed the latest packages for Tiger.
Perhaps installing VueScan didn't help (although VueScan claim not to install any system files and not to interfere with other software). I'll keep trying to get to the root of the problem. Perhaps a complete clean reinstall of all software will help. I'm not too keen on doing this.

JB

'Perhaps installing VueScan didn't help (although VueScan claim not to install any system files and not to interfere with other software).' - 'VueScan' is independently installed, and does not interfere with other (scanner) software (including drivers) - as they state.

'... Perhaps a complete clean reinstall of all software will help. I'm not too keen on doing this.' - and it is (/ should) not necessary. That is the 'Windoze' way of solving problems - it should not be the 'new' Mac way.

In your case, it is most likely a matter of finding the 'twain' and 'Benq' software moved to the 'Previous Systems' folder's sub-folders - to the equivalent folders of the MacOS X 'Tiger' upgrade (if 'Archive and Install' was the option selected).

I can't remember exactly if I Archived the Panther files, but even if I did, I have deleted the archive folder. I did install the Twain-Sane packages (Tiger version) but I may have first deleted the relevant packages from /Library/Receipts. They are there now.

I've tried debug (with and without the usb option) and sometimes the scanner gets very noisy and the information and numbers fly down the page without stopping. I have to unplug the usb cable to save the scanner.
I can do sane-find scanner and scanimage -L successfully and get a result naming the scanner.

There is some problem identifying the scanner correctly in the debug message (result):
Error opening device libusb:002:002-04a5-20b0=ff=ff: Invalid argument.
Could there be a problem with libusb?? The proper vendor and product numbers should be 0x04a5 and 0x020b0. Perhaps they are detected properly?
JB

I'm giving up on the Twain-Sane option for now.
The latest upgrade of VueScan (this week) has improved options for Benq scanners and mine is now identified and named correctly as 3000u (although it did work in the previous minor upgrades when it was called "Acer Flatbed scanner"). The only thing it doesn't do is scan directly into a programme. A minor inconvenience.

JB

Just tried installing the Twain-sane software again and this time it worked perfectly. I did have to copy the firmware (u176v046.bin) to /usr/local/share/sane/snapscan and then edit the snapscan.conf to point to the firmware. The Snapscan.conf file can be edited via System Preferences. This is so much easier than editing the file using a text editor (as I had to do in Linux).
Success at last!
Only problem now is that the glass on scanner has become scratched and I'll need a new scanner. Oh well!
JB

Back