Two Mac OS's on same hard drive.

stephenclark49

Registered
I have a Verbatim external with my complete system on it. I painstakingly loaded OS 10.3.9 and all the software the same way I did on my G4-400 mghz native 20gb hard drive; this obviously took forever.

I just bought a "Sawtooth" that has 10.4.11 as the OS. I bought it just for the OS and would like a bootable copy of 10.4.11 on the same Verbatim. Is there a way I can do this and partition the drive as well for mass storage?

Thanks,
Stephen

stephenclark49@gmail.com

Don't know whether it's possible to copy an entire OS between discs, but you should have no problem downloading 10.4.11.

You'll need to put the two OSes on separate partitions. If you don't already have a free partition, you'll need to repartition the Verbatim drive, which generally requires erasing the entire drive. (I say "generally", because there are ways to resize partitions without erasing the data on them, like VolumeWorks and Boot Camp, but they're not 100% reliable, so backing up your data is important anyway.)

Once you have a free partition for 10.4, you can copy the OS from your Sawtooth to the Verbatim drive using Carbon Copy Cloner.

Or you could use Carbon Copy Cloner to create ASR (restorable) disk images of the system drives instead of actually creating bootable partitions.

I just bought a "Sawtooth" that has 10.4.11 as the OS. I bought it just for the OS...
Seems like an awfully expensive way to purchase 10.4... kinda makes me think of buying an entire car just so I can get the radio. :p

You can acquire install CDs/DVDs for 10.4 from many different retailers for less than $100.

Back