two nasty problems - HELP!!!

gman

Registered
Hi all
About a week ago I noticed two problems with my mac and I have no idea why they are happening and what to do about it.

First, I noticed that every time I try to print a document, I get a message that says there is not enough ram. I know there is plenty of ram, but the computer seems to think otherwise.

Second, classic won't start! Whenever I try to start classic, or a classic app, the progress bar appears, but nothing happens.

Can anybody help me figure out what's going on here? I'd greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

we probably need alot more info - like what version of osx and 9, your hardware setup (including ram amount and printer), any particular places this occurs (like printing pics and not text docs), etc.

also, just as a general first thing to do, try repairing your permissions with disk utility.

Another thing you can do is to repair the OS9 desktop, from System Preferences -> Classic -> Advanced.

I have also booted the thing into OS9 to get this job done also.

Thanks for your feedback. I repaired the permissions and rebuilt the classic desktop. Still doesn't work though.

I have a single processor 1GH G4 with 256MB memory. I run version 10.2.8. Classic version 9.1.8.

I realize that 256MB is not a huge amount of memory, but I've never had a problem printing with that much before. Nothing at all will print, not even a small text document.

I forgot to mention that I have the type of computer that runs classic from within OSX. I cannot boot up from classic.

256 MB RAM is not _that_ much memory and can under certain circumstances lead to low-RAM conditions. You also might try and reinstall the Classic package from the original CDs that came with your Mac.

how much free disk space do you have? a certain amount of 'memory' is used from the disk space, especially if you are using only 256 physical memory. if this free space is rather small, you can get these kinds of problems. i would run into issues like yours whenever i let my old 10gb drive get below 1gb free. and it worked much better with 1.5 to 2 gb free.

I don't think hard disc space is a problem. I have at least 20 gigs free, and probably more like thirty.

yea, it's not the disk space. short of running diskwarrior or techtool pro 4, i'm out of ideas for the moment. but i also haven't slept for 24 hrs because of work, so that might not mean much. :)

I've already run discwarrior. I don't have techtool pro. It looks like I've stumped the band. What a drag.

By the way - get some sleep!

Back