Two things that Safari *should* do

Ynought

Registered
I recently installed Leopard and I have to say, I really like the new look and feel of safari. My favorite is the highlighting of searches on a page. However, I think I'll be going back to camino for two reasons:

1. Not having to command + f to find. With Camino, you just type and it automatically starts to look for what you are typing

2. Automatically saved sessions. I'm not sure why Apple doesn't allow safari to save active pages when I quit. I know I can book mark them but even with the bookmark all that's a pain. And what if I accidentally quit safari without saving?

Anyway, I love leopard, but those are just two thoughts.

You _don't_ accidentally quit without saving, because if multiple tabs are open, it asks you if you really want to quit. If you want to revisit the now open tabs later: DON'T quit Safari. Just leave it open in the background. If you _must_ restart, relogin or relaunch Safari, _do_ create a bookmark-set. In other words: I'm quite content with how it's currently working. :)

Err, Safari does allow you to reopen all windows that were open before you quit it. History>Reopen all windows from last session.

Nice to know captain code. Thanks. Btw, fryke, sometimes people do things absent mindedly and it is possible for someone to quit without remembering that one page that they wanted.

One more thing: stopping flash animation until you want to play. I love that feature on the mozilla browsers.

Again, this is not supposed to be a knock on safari, just my thoughts on how it could be better. (they so sensitiffffff. (c) 'Ye)

One of the features that I can't give up in Firefox is adding search engines to the search bar. I have like 15 of them, not just google and yahoo but also netflix, imdb, etc.

Anyone found a decent add on to do this?

Anyone found a decent add on to do this?

Not exactly, but I use Butler to accomplish much the same task in a browser-independent way. A keystroke (from any app, any time) brings up a floating window where I can enter a search phrase and pick an engine, either by using the menu with the mouse or mouse-free with the up/down arrow keys. Hitting Return then opens up the results in my default browser. See attached screenshot.

Just one of many reasons I find Butler indispensable.

Attachments

• Picture 2007-10-30 17-58-58.png
    Picture 2007-10-30 17-58-58.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 9
Hm, command-f works for find in Safari 1, 2, and 3... that's one of the shortcuts for all apps.

Read carefully. What I like about Camino (and now Safari with SafariStand) is *not* having to cmd + 'f'.

Yeah, I would like the search without cmd-f. But that's Apple's way: don't implement functions that can confuse users.

Back