Two Wireless Problems ('lost' computers + slowness)

aluminum

Registered
I have a G4/350 desktop and a TiBook/667 with an Airport Card.

I'm running a Netgear router. The G4 is hooked up to the router via ethernet, and the TiBook is using the wireless set up (with WEP on).

The TiBook is running Jaguar, the G4, 10.1.3, I believe.

I'm having two problems:

1) The two machines can't see each other on the network.

2) The Laptop will often have a noticable 'dead' time when accessing a web page. This 'dead' time will increase to the point where surfing is unbearable. A quick log-in and out seems to clear that up.

Any thoughts/theories as to what's going on?

1) The two machines can't see each other on the network
==============================
Maybe you have to turn Personal file shareing on to both Macs?

2) The Laptop will often have a noticable 'dead' time when accessing a web page. This 'dead' time will increase to the point where surfing is unbearable. A quick log-in and out seems to clear that up.
==============================

Remember TV, Microwaves, Fridge etc.. can cause interference with the router. Maybe that could be the problem. Or there is something wrong with the airport card or the internel attena in the PB?

Ok...I've narrowed the problem down to the router itself. A reboot brought my internet speeds WAY back up, and I can now see the other machine on the network.

I'll give it a few days and see if it needs another reboot. This may get annoying...

Why was this thread moved? I had a hell of a time finding it.

And is this really a cross platform issue? This appears to be an OSX and NetGear issue.

Per a recommendation, I upgraded the routers ROM. That seemed to help.

Is there a monitoring program that logs network activity to possible figure out where the hangup is?

Back