type & creator vs. suffix

almayn

Registered
hi there!

following question:

if you have a file with a type and creator, the macosx finder will be able to open the file by those informations (it will very likely start a classic app).

if you have a file with a suffix, the macosx finder will be able to open the file by those informations ( it will very likely start an osx app.)

now the hard part:

if you have a file without type and creator and without a suffix, the macosx finder will be able to open the file with the program used last.

for example:
if you remove the suffix (in the terminal with mv) from a file generated under osx (PDF or RTF), wich does not contain a type and creator. the finder will still start an app, even though the icon for the file is generic.

i have removed and updated the desktop files for os9 and osx, and still the same! i have removed the preferences of the program, wich contains the information about files to be opend by a certain suffix.

happens under osx 10.1.1

strange

This seems like a good thing to me :) I'm not quite sure what the question is, so my apologies if this doesn't apply, but to open a file in a different application:

Get Info on the file. In the drop down menu labelled "General Information" switch it to "Open with application". There you can pick a different application for it to open in.

Back