UAE Amiga emu CARBONIZED!

Thanks for the info I am there! :D

You need a copy of the workbench OS floppy in order to boot into workbench BTW.

Admiral any luck getting further than I did?

I have all the stuff in the folder, Kick roms, work bench etc..

I'm really hoping to run os3.9 on it later.

I wish I had OS 3.9 :p
I left my copy of UAE at work (did not have any zips with me) I will take a look at it tomorrow afternoon and tell you my findings :)

Admiral get the files from my carracho server:

Their in the Amiga section in the commordore folder. Hope thats all u need...

No offense to anyone, but the Amiga's dead. By this I don't mean why are you messing with an emulator but why can't I go get the ROMs for free anywhere easily? Are they planning on selling them again sometime soon?

-Rob

"o offense to anyone, but the Amiga's dead. By this I don't mean why are you messing with an emulator but why can't I go get the ROMs for free anywhere easily?"

-------------------------------------------

See above post.

The amiga rocks, and it is making a comeback
check out amiga.de :)

outsider that is one nice serve you've got :)
Have you played the game called "chaos engine" ?? (I probably spend a lot of time in my summers playing that and other games :p

As for getting the ROMs free, thats still illegal because they are copyrighted and they are not abandonware since amiga inc probably has some sort of comeback.

I got my mother to get me the Amiga Forever package a while back so I am the legal owner of amiga ROMs and workbench images :)

Now all I need is a good fast emulator, more games, and a copy of AmigaOS 3.5 or 3.9 or 4.0 when it comes out :D

Admiral

Wow!
Can't wait to run AmigaOs on OSX! I was born Amigan turned into Mac Head!
Amiga kicked serious ass... and it's always had something in common with Apple.
I own the original Roms ans stuff, but I have no floppy, so I'll try to d/l the files from that carracho server: cool!

I've always wanted to try messing with Amigas--never used 'em before.

'Never messed with Carracho either. Guess I'll go see what I can learn about it.

-Rob

I;ve got almost all workbenches and ROms from version 1.0 to 3.1 :p

I neeeed AmigaOS 3.5 and 3.6 -- anyone can help ? :p

I will try to get on the emulator tonite -- I leave work in 1 hour.

If anyone needs help -- I consider myself the resident emulation person :))

well these are my findings:

Something is screwy :p

I couldnt get 3.1 to boot even though I put teh floppy in the drive (virtual floppy in virtual drive that is) -- I ever rebooted the device but nothing.

Just for kicks I decided to test out a few games to see if I have any better luck. I tested Toki and Chaos Engine.

They both load up to some point but other than that it doesnt accept input which makes it not go forward in the game.

Something is up with emulator....

Admiral

Admiral K maybe the emulator is still in early stages which I find hard to understand cause it should be a simple port and seeing there is a unix version out as well....

I own an Amiga and most of those games are my dumps.

Chaos Engine was mad, Dogs of War was just as good. But I loved Amiga for the Cinemaware games like Wings.

Yes guys WE NEED AMIGA 3.9 which can be had if u owned an Amiga 4000.

I'll email Richard Bannister and see if he had any luck with UAE.

Why do this, just curious? I know nothing about the current state of Amiga and its hardware/software. I remember way back in 1987 seeing one run a live 3D demo of a rocking chair animation being rendered in real time and was stunned. Like the Mac, it was in a class by itself but seemed to choke when no powerful business apps came to it (just my guess as to why anyway).

Somebody later let me borrow their Amiga with a few games that ran way smoother than anything on any Mac or PC at the time, clearly they had the graphics stuff worked out. I did get a chance to play with the OS and found it way behind Apple and even Windows at the time. Very clunky, amateurish, blocky and not particularly friendly.

So, all these years later, why (other than nostalgia and a couple of throw away games) would someone want to seriously emulate an Amiga OS? Seriously, I would like to know. Am I missing something, or is this simply techno fun?

Amiga was definitely in a class of its own!
Incredible gfx for the time (like 4096 colors in early 80's when PCs had 4 colors), stunning dedicated chipset for audio (4 different outputs), and so on.
The fact that it was so good for games made people believe it was only a good games console.

Powerful applications came out, and in fact many of those that are "industry standard apps" were born on the Amiga (Lightwave, Cinema4D to name just two).

The OS was super stable and had very efficient multitasking. Screen dragging was another cool feature. You could just have one app open on a screen, and drag the whole app around to reveal another screen underneath.

In Europe it became the de facto standard for gaming (like PS now), SimCity was born on Amiga. But people never thought it was a computer too, and very few used it to do anything serious. They just got a PC for that.

At some point all my friends just moved to PCs to do serious stuff. I stayed with Amiga. Well, we had a project to do at university... I used a freeware spreadsheet on my little Amiga and got top marks, they didn't even thought about using Excel and did all calculations by hand. If they just used their amigas more...

Amigans always thought different, and many Mac freaks come from Amiga. We shared the same CPU, same philosophy, regardless of ideology....

Lonny u said it well.
I just counldnt be bothered explaining.

Also noted: Many Ambrosia games asre released mac/amiga.
Amiga os 3.9 has many cool features that would suit a hobbiest's fancies.

Amiga Toaster is reguarded as the pioneer of DV editing.
Newtek Lightwave was made for Amiga first.

Lonny if u have Amiga os3.9 would your "share" it with us?

Sorry, I'm stuck with the OS that came with my A1200...
which is still on my desk actually. With its external 85Mb HD.
Ahhh... those were the days ;-)

Outsider, sure I'm gonna try and help.
Still have to d/l the files... is your server always up?
Do you have all those nice utils like MUI and NewIcons?

Plus, I'm currently struggling with a problem with Cubase on 9.1, as soon as I fix that I'll dedicate myself to UAE!

I run MacUAE under OS 9 with Amiga In A Box... that package is GREAT!

It makes the workbench 3.1 UI look more smooth, just like it does in OS 3.9 :D

I wanted to buy the OS 3.9 CD, but I think that MacUAE (classic) doesnt do CDs :( so it would have been useless :p

I agree, get on the emulator and help us figure it out, all of you former amigans ;-)

As for the emulator, it is indeed a port, but that doesnt mean that all of it is ported he he -- it just means that he is in hte process of porting code, and perhaps this is the most basic thing he got up and running. Furthermore when you port there is a chance of screwing somethiing up so tweaks need to be made :)

Back