uControl (What's this guy running on?)

In the hard drive, go to the utilities folder, and click on the terminal icon. Like kenny says, type everything exactly as he indicated.

Originally posted by nkuvu
Um, what? :confused: Enter key right next to the spacebar??

I think someone is misinformed. Either hazmat or uControl guy. And my money is currently on uControl guy being the misinformed one...

But later on down the page there are instructions on how to do this without uControl...

:confused: :confused:

On some of the older TiBooks a secondary ENTER key was next to the spacebar, directly to the right. (Instead of the Apple key.) I assume this was for folks who liked to use the numberpad-mapped keys. (I've never used that feature.) On the new TiBooks, the key was remade into the Apple key.

It was *really* annoying--I was hitting ENTER all the time because I am habituated to pressing the Apple key at that location (on normal-sized Apple keyboards) instead. :)

My WallStreet has an Enter key there. As far as I can assume, it's there because that's where the Fn Numpad's enter would be. To all intents and purposes though, it should be an Apple/Command key and only an Enter if the Fn key is held down, by all logic.

I think the idea of the trackpad being a scrollwheel is classy though. Is there a terminal command with that function?

I have to side with Fryke, I think. Placing the Control key above the Shift key may be something that Unix machines did, but the Mac has a much more direct lineage leading to the typewriter than it does to a Unix workstation. And as for what makes more sense, I think that keeping things the way they were laid out for "every man" on the common typewriter and now on the common computer makes a lot more sense than rearranging them for the .001% of computer users who are programmers that need this sort of thing often. Let them install the work arounds.

P.S. While hitting the Caps Lock key accidentally may cause me to type something in upper case and then need to go back and correct it, hitting the Control key at an inopportune moment could really screw something up.

(The following rant should not be taken personally; I've seen this kind of posting before from others. I'm not trying to start a flame-fest here)

For some reason, this post really bugs me.

Maybe it's the notion that because the caps-lock was always there with typewriters, that we should be saddled with this poor arrangement for all time to come. Many of the design decisions around the original typwriters were to overcome mechanical limitations of those devices. Why should those decisions remain unchallenged? Who here has even touched a "real" typewriter in the last 10 years to do any real work (not just learning to type)?

Or maybe its the condecending attitude that says, "well, those that want it this way should just have to accept the way things are or jump through hoops to make it work the way they want it to". I assure you, there's a heck of a lot more than 0.001% of the computer-using population that uses keyboards with the control key in that position. Every Unix workstation I've ever touched (Sun mostly) has that arrangement. And guess what - it works well. Besides, given that Macintosh now shares in a rich Unix heratige, perhaps it's fitting that the key arrangements include the control key in the "correct" location, above the left-shift key.

At any rate, the keymapping mods for IOUSBFamily only work on keyboards that are USB-based. The PowerBooks/iBooks are not USB-keyboards. They have more in common with ADB, so mods like uControl are a real boon to us "weirdos" who just happen to have the best portable computers on the planet.

There's really no need to "side" with anyone on this. If you want your caps-lock key to stay where it is, fine. Please don't characterize those of us who don't as an odd minority that needs someone to say "let them install the workarounds" to make it work the way we want it to.

Ok.. I feel better now... :)

Folks,
uControl does seem to entail some elemenet of risk,
but i'm finding it to cohabitate well with USB overdrive.
Together, they improve my iBook.
The trackpad scrolling works consistently.
And, I'm a lefty.
Reconfiguring the 'enter' key to 'option'
not only give me an option key on the right
(so I don't have to drop my wacom pen...)
but also allows many shortcuts to be remapped
to launch with a single finger on 'command +option'.

ttfn dirtbag

Back