Über n00b setting up PHP and MySQL - shell syntax problem?

also of interest:

I read through the readMe again to see if there was anything I may have missed. There's a note in there about creating an alias by entering the commands alias mysql=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql and alias mysqladmin=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin

I entered those and then tried mysql -u root

and got ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61)

I've been trying to find out (and there's nothing in the documentation that is with the package I downloaded) how to uninstall mySQL completely so that I can perform a clean install - was thinking this might be worth a shot. The closest I've found was on Adobe's site - but it was for a really old version...

Could you point me in the right direction?

:m

OK I reinstalled the system (because of another problem I discovered). I hoped this might help, and it did to a point. I've reinstalled MySQL and PHP following all the instructions at Mark Liyanage's site, and I'm able to connect to MySQL via terminal without a problem, and the port is bound to 3306 - everything seems fine, but if I try to connect to it with cocoaMySQL it gives me this:

Connection Failed!

Unable to connect to host 127.0.0.1.
Be sure that the address is correct and that you have the necessary privileges.

I can telnet to localhost on 3306
I can telnet to 127.0.0.1 on 3306 and get the following:

telnet 127.0.0.1 3306
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
>
4.1.10a-standardZ*`(ANGY,g|Y*`(CYt^X"

Any ideas anyone?

Just a little update - the issue with the machine was either processor or logic-board related. In speaking with the tech who is repairing the machine, I learned that when the logic board is having troubles, sometimes files that are supposed to be invisible become visible, along with other problems. In all likelihood, that's where the problems with MySQL were going on - sounds like it screws with the permissions, etc.

:m

Back