Umax to finally support scanners !??

edX

mac shaman
reported tody at www.macfixit.com -

Late-Breakers
Thursday, December 12 2002 @ 07:15 AM PST
UMAX pledges Mac OS X support for scanners

Though the company has been slow thus far to deliver Mac OS X drivers for its fairly popular line of flatbed scanners, a note on UMAX's Web site indicates that development of a new, OS X-compliant flavor of its "PowerColor" scanner software is underway:

"In support of this revolutionary operating system, UMAX has worked diligently over the past year and a half in developing our scanner software to be OS X-compliant. Our MagicScan software that runs the professional PowerLook series scanners is in the 'Beta' stage of development. We will update our customers and partners on the status of MagicScan running on Mac OS X. Customers can expect that future versions of the PowerColor scanning software product will be OS X-compliant."

"If you'd like to be notified on the next release of MagicScan (or PowerColor), please send email to professional@umax.com

this sounds like great news in theory. but what are the chances we'll actually see it before os x 10.5 is released? :rolleyes:

i suggest we all write and demand they release the beta to versiontracker soon. let's get this ball rolling. they must have one windows programmer who works on this project one hour a week for it to take this long!!!

That's outright crap! I call UMAX up earlier this year and the person I talked to said they had no intension of writing OS X drivers. I won't buy another UMAX scanner unless they go out of thier way for me. I decided to register VueScan and use that with my UMAX until it dies. Then I'm buying Microtek. Microtek has been committed to Apple for a long time. Go Microtek!

Tim

That message has been on their website for a good portion of the year. In addition, it will only support a few models of the UMAX scanner. I have a UMAX and have been interested in having it supported. But, from all I have read, fat chance on mine being supported.

Scott

I have the Umax Astra 1220U, which VueScan does not see. I am seriously thinking about getting a Microtek.

yea, well i got my umax as a response to a lack of support from microtek so i wouldn't exactly see them as being lightyears ahead of umax.

What do people have against Epson? I have an Perfection 1650 Photo, it's great. Sure, there's only a beta Twain Driver for OSX, but it's pretty darn good for beta. Plus, I can use the GIMP Print driver with it and it works even better (although, getting used to color shift is weird). Just wondering why Epson hadn't been mentioned...

Later

This is totally unfair. Maybe we should holler at all the companies for not porting drivers for all their USB scanners.
Is there anyone that has a scanner driver for OS X?
Vard, how long has that beta been a beta and when do they predict a full release? :(

actually, epson is the direction i am leaning for my next scanner. epson seems to work closer with apple than any of the other peripheral manufacturers as far as i can tell.

How long has it been a beta....I have now idea....when is the final version expected....I have no idea. That's why I got the GIMP print driver. Yeah, I know it's not correct yet, but it is something. The beta driver is actually very versatile too. Ed, from one Ed to another, go with the Epson. I works great for anything I need to scan.

Later

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
actually, epson is the direction i am leaning for my next scanner. epson seems to work closer with apple than any of the other peripheral manufacturers as far as i can tell.

besides crappy printer driver support

I ran into this with my 6400 Astra scanner. I also learned a little bit about UMAX. it seems that they are not contrally controlled. You can get drivers from the UK web site that the people from the US division want you to pay for.

There's is some into on OSX and UMAC here: http://www.umax.co.uk/support/technotes/macosx.htm

there's a beta of vista scan there as well as info on other scanner drivers.

I'd like to thank UMAX for forcing me to purchase an Epson perfection 1260 Photo scanner. Without their laziness, or lack of interest in OS X, I would never have upgraded to a far superior scanner. Thank you UMAX!

Originally posted by moss514
I'd like to thank UMAX for forcing me to purchase an Epson perfection 1260 Photo scanner. Without their laziness, or lack of interest in OS X, I would never have upgraded to a far superior scanner. Thank you UMAX!

AMEN!
You have the newer version of my scanner! :D

From the horse's mouth:

"Umax currently has made no commitment to supporting older professional
models under OS X at this time. Also, no consumer-level (Astra models, or
older consumer-level) scanners will be targeted for support under OS X."

So, what models are supported (my the manufacturer, not 3rd party) on OS X, and which models do you recommend, and price range for those models?

Originally posted by ScottW
So, what models are supported (my the manufacturer, not 3rd party) on OS X, and which models do you recommend, and price range for those models?

Nothin' but Epson! :D
Altho I think the drivers are still in "beta" - the Twain part of it works fine for me. The only thing that does not work are the buttons on the scanner - big deal :p :rolleyes: :D

Back