Unable to Access my applications - HELP!

rickd1010

Registered
I posted this awhile ago but I am still having problems. I just replaced my DVD drive so that I could run the Disk utility and repair my permissions hoping this would cure the problem, but no. I am running OSX 10.2.8 right now and am wanting to go up to 10.3 but am afraid to upgrade until I have the problem resolved. Any input wold be greatly appreciated.

The Applications problem in your previous posts?
Considering you have already tried everything up to repairing permissions ....

Make a backup of all files you want to keep from the system (such as home folder and all documents), and make a clean install of 10.2 (or 10.3).

That's what I was afraid of, but there is still a problem. If I can't access my HD then how can I burn a DVD for a backup before I "clean install?"

Oh I forgot the details of the first thread.
So you don't have any access to the hard drive now?
Do you have any other Mac to try it with target mode?
How recent is your backup?

I have an IMac of the same vintage, but am not quite sure what you are saying about "targeting? Can you explain farther?

I have an IMac of the same vintage, but am not quite sure what you are saying about "targeting? Can you explain farther?

Turn the troubled computer into a firewire hard drive by using target mode. Restart it and hold command + t till you see the yellow firewire icon on the screen. Then plug that comp into your working computer. The target mode comp will show up as a hard drive on the working comp. Then you can copy files over.

You can also boot the troubled comp in Safe Mode and repair it that way: restart/hold command + s till you see black screen white text/type fsck -f/type reboot when that process is finished.

All the measures mentioned seem a but extreme to me. I have more of a feeling that is more of a directory problem. Could something like Tech Tools or Disk Warrior help??

Your OS X regulates your files for you and those apps can screw up its process. Repair Permissions is more than enough to get your files, and even some minor issues, in order.

Back