Unable to change master password

Tazzy

Registered
I'm a new Mac user, and am having a password problem. First, I'm running OS X 10.6.2. I'm not sure what I did, but for some reason I am unable to log into the main administrator account set up on the system. When I try to log in, the window just shakes at me.

I have looked up just about everything I can for fixing this, and nothing has worked. I used the original set up disc to change the master password, and it apparently accepts the change, but then I'm still unable to login with the different password.

I have another admin account set up, and I have gone into System Preferences/Security and clicked to change the master password there. I know what the password is, so I put it in and change it, and it apparently accepts it here as well. However, if I try to access the other admin account, I am still unable to.

I've used sudo in terminal mode, but that didn't work either.

That account has all my documents and files on it, and I can't access them any other way.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas on why the password will not change?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

The account does not have file vault set up on it, does it? Because in that case you are SOL. Otherwise you will need to enable the root user and try to change the password that way. Even if that doesn't work at least you will have full access to the files.

Hi djackmac, I thought the only way to change the password was with the OS cd and then "reset pw" I am interested to know what you mean about enabling the root user to change the password. I just might just be missing something, thanks. Also, Tazzy, I am surprised the pw reset didn't work. I think djackmac might be right about some other protection software being installed. You put the cd in and got to the 'reset pw' window, correct? Also, if you have another admin account go to the other account and give yourself 'permission' should work, right?

I think djackmac might be right about some other protection software being installed.

Filevault is not protection software. It is encrypting your home folder. This is done through system preferences/security/filevault. If you have enabled filevault and you don't know the password you are screwed and you can kiss your data goodbye unless you remember the password. If this is the case, enabling the root user will not help change the password. You should be able to log in to the other admin account and go to system preferences/accounts and look at the other account in the left hand pane and at least tell you if it is a filevault protected account.

The account does not have file vault set up on it, does it? Because in that case you are SOL. Otherwise you will need to enable the root user and try to change the password that way. Even if that doesn't work at least you will have full access to the files.

Thank you for your reply :) I figured out how to enable root, and I logged in and changed the master password that way. I went into the account I can't access and used the new master password to change the password on that account and I get this error message:

CSSM_ERRCODE_MEMORY_ERROR

I have looked up this error code, but can't seem to find much on it. Any ideas?

To the best of my knowledge, file vault was not enabled on that account. I bought this computer used and have been using the last owners account to log in because it was all set up and I wanted to learn more about Mac before I set up my own account.

Oh and how do I access the files? I opened finder and searched for a known folder, but it doesn't find it. I know Windows so well, and feel like an idiot with this OS so far! But I gotta say, I love it!

Last edited:
If you are in the account you should be able to get the files. I'd back up the files and reformat and set the system up properly. You've done this much with the system, reinstalling and setting up the user correctly is fairly easy. Turn of root when you are done with it.

Thank you for your help Djackmac! I found most of the files I needed. I appreciate your help :)

Back