unable to delete file on desktop - help

llyrwy

censored affidavits
I have an mp3 file on the desktop I am unable to move to trash.

Everytime I attempt to move to trash it says "the file is being used by another task right now". This message occurs even if I close every program I am running.

I opened the process viewer, but I don't see anything that could possibly be using an mp3 file.
the only player i have is iTunes and it is off.

I attempted to duplicate the file on the desktop, but was told that "you do not have sufficient priviledges". But I have rwx for everything!

Please help.

Thanks !

type this into the terminal:

cd ~/dekstop
ls
sudo rm filename

... and that's it!
cd ~/dekstop will take you to your users desktop folder, ls will list the files on the desktop (just to make sure it's there), and sudo rm filename... sudo invokes root access for one command, rm means remove, and obviously, replace the word filename with the file you want to delete (including the extension if it has one).

;)

I currently have a file on my desktop that gives me the same message when I try to delete, copy or move it it says "The item is being used by another task right now...etc" The file is/was an Adobe Illustrator file that I was trying to compress with DropStuff. DropStuff froze halfway through, so I forced quit out of it - leaving a "broken-grayed out .sit file" on my desktop.

I went into the Terminal, brought up the desktop and saw that it was really there. However, when I try to erase it is says:

[1] 507
T: Command not found.

I thought maybe I was doing something wrong so I tried to erase another file on my desktop using "sudo rm filename" and it worked perfectly.

I think it's because the name of the file has spaces in it...?
The file name is: AT&T Logos NEW.sit
However I can't do anything to the file, including change the name of it.

I'm new to this whole Terminal command thing. I'm stuck!!!!!

Try this:
In the Terminal, type "sudo rm" and then put a space. From the Finder drag the file and drop it on your Terminal window. It's "correct" name will show up, and hitting Enter should delete it (once you put in your password).

Originally posted by milno
I currently have a file on my desktop that gives me the same message when I try to delete, copy or move it it says "The item is being used by another task right now...etc" The file is/was an Adobe Illustrator file that I was trying to compress with DropStuff. DropStuff froze halfway through, so I forced quit out of it - leaving a "broken-grayed out .sit file" on my desktop.

I went into the Terminal, brought up the desktop and saw that it was really there. However, when I try to erase it is says:

[1] 507
T: Command not found.

I thought maybe I was doing something wrong so I tried to erase another file on my desktop using "sudo rm filename" and it worked perfectly.

I think it's because the name of the file has spaces in it...?
The file name is: AT&T Logos NEW.sit
However I can't do anything to the file, including change the name of it.

I'm new to this whole Terminal command thing. I'm stuck!!!!!

I had the same problem. It seems that when downloading a file or doing another task the finder changed the file type & creator code. If you look at the file type you will notice that it is set to "bzy" This is why the finder won't let you delete it. Change the file type to whatever else you want, drag it to the trash, empty.

3 simple steps and no terminal :D

EDIT: after reading the post again it's not exactly the problem that I had. In you're case you can do it two other ways as well. Just as the following

sudo rm AT&T\ Logos\ NEW.sit or like this sudo rm "AT&T Logos NEW.sit"

Thanks genghiscohen and Rhino_G3 for responding. I tried the genghiscohen way first this morning by dragging in the file and it basically pasted in a huge file name.....and finally recognized it. After entering my password - poof - it's gone! YES!!!

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This SPAM is an ad for a Windows utlity. The SPAMMer has been reported.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back