unable to launch classic

glevine

Registered
Background: Mac G3 normally runs under OS X with QuarkXPress 4.1 in Classic mode. Quark acted up last week, so I restarted as usual and with only QXP open I got an Out Of Memory warning. I then changed the startup disk to OS 9 and this helped Quark to function (so I could finish my work!). But ultimately I wanted to be back in OS X so I
switched the startup disk back to OS X. That's when this message appeared:

/etc/master.passwd: Not a directory
/etc/master.passwd: Not a directory
-sh: /etc/profile: Not a directory
-sh-2.05b#

I found some instructions on the Apple support site and followed them for fixing that issue. I can now successfully boot to OS X.

New issue: I can't launch Classic from OS X. Each time I've tried to launch it the progress bar shows very minimal progress and it never moves. I attempted to repair the permissions for both OS 9 and OS X, but that didn't help. I also noticed that I cannot connect to my network since getting OS X running again. I was hoping that someone might have an idea of what to do before I just gave up and reinstalled OS 9. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Try booting from the System Install disk and start Disk Utility. Select your hard drive and "Repair". When that's done, if it's successful, rebuild the permissions again. If Disk Utility tells you it can't fix it, invest in DiskWarrior repair utility (or some other, TechTool Pro, Drive Genius, or if you really feel like problems, Norton Utilities).

If the hard disk is not the problem, my next step would be to do a clean install from the System Disk - boot from the disk, select the boot hard drive, and you'll get to options to let you do a clean install.

Back