Unable to restore image to partition with OS X install discs. Video of problem.

timswim78

Regular Guy
I have used the Disk Utility in OS X 10.4.5 to restore an image that I created with Carbon Copy Cloner. However, when I try to use the Disk Utility on the Restore CD, I run into an obstacle. I cannot click and the drag the target volume to the appropriate windows. Whenever I click and hold the mouse button down, it selects all of the volumes underneath of the volume that I am trying to drag.

In order to demonstrate the problem, I have put a small video clip on my Web site:
http://bibo.us/mac/diskutility.mov

System:
- Intel Mac Mini, Core Duo
- OS X 10.4.5 on System Restore discs
- Logitech cordless optical mouse (USB)
- Logitech cordless keyboard (USB)

Try right-click or ctrl-click on your drive in Disk Utility, this will allow you to select "Restore" and might let you continue. (the keyword here is "might").

jb.

Thanks for the reply. However, I already tried these solutions and they do not help. They only take me back to the restore screen.

In CCC's preferences, did you turn on:
ASR Option: "Prepare for Apple Sortware Restore"

Have you tried using CCC to restore?

bobw said:
In CCC's preferences, did you turn on:
ASR Option: "Prepare for Apple Sortware Restore"

I sure did. The problem does not seem to be with the image because it restored itself just fine under OS X.

The problem is that I cannot drag a target volume to the restore screen when I am using the Tiger Installation Discs. The restore works beautifully when I use disk utility under a running OS X installation.

Sounds like Disk Utility won't work like this when booted from the Restore disc.

bobw said:
Sounds like Disk Utility won't work like this when booted from the Restore disc.

I have done this many, many times with PPC Mac's, and CCC's instructions specifically say that this can be done.

Perhaps disabled this as a measure to prevent OSX86 piracy? Perhaps there is a problem with my mouse. I wish that I had an Apple mouse that I could try here.

I'd restore the partition using the Terminal at theat point.
asr
and 'man asr' for the syntax.

Back