Unable to sync Palm Zire 71 with Mac OS X

Big Max

Registered
Ok,

My Palm Zire syncs fine with my PC at work but with my Mac at home it does not. I keep getting "File Locked" errors. I've taken screen shots of them. I got some suggestions from Palm that did not work. Here is what they told me to do:

Search for "com.palm.hs" files using Finder. Delete them.

Repair permissions. Reboot. Try to sync. Still got "File Locked" error.

Create new Admin account. Try to sync. "File Locked" error

Uninstall Palm Desktop. Search for all files with keyword "Palm". Delete them all. Re-install Palm Desktop. Try to Sync. "File Locked" error.

I consulted with at least 4 Palm support people who all sent me exactly the above suggestions, hinting to me that they were all reading from the same script, and likely have no idea why this is happening. Apparently there is a file locked but I have no idea what file that is. When I open, view, and exit Palm Desktop it gives me a "File Busy" error. No idea why. I refuse to believe that Palm Hotsync only works with PC, as I've heard others indicate that they have no problem. I don't no if it matters that I'm running a G3 B&W running OS 10.3.3 (now 10.3.4). There has to be an answer... a reason why this is happening and I'm confident that one of you knows why.

HELPPPPP!!!! ::sleepy::

My wife uses a Palm Zire71 on the Powerbook here at home, no problem. Have you installed the proper software to your computer that came with the Zire?

Natobasso said:
Okay, I found a much better answer than my previous post:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20030618075434985

:)

This was the best solution I've seen yet and made perfect sense, but I've done a hard reset too, thinking something installed on the Palm Zire 71 might have caused the problem and guess what? I STILL get a "File Locked" error. I will be getting a Palm Tungsten E through my work next week and will uninstall the Palm Zire Palm Desktop software and, install the Palm Tungsten E Palm desktop and see what happens with that one. If it works, I'll just chalk it up to the Zire and it's cradle. If you can think of anything else, let me know. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a Unix permissions issue.....
:confused:

Ok,

I played around with creating new users and attempting to sync. As soon as I create a new user in Palm Desktop, It locks the file. Upon going into HDD, Username, Palm, User, Userdata and doing "Get info" I see that the Locked box is not checked. Now when I sync, it starts to work until it gets to Memo Pad, then I get "Conduit Manager- volume Locked" then "Conduit Manager-File Busy". The interesting thing is that, when I boot into OS 9 and Sync, it works perfectly every time, so I know it's not the Palm Zire (there is no software installed on it other than Palm OS), I'm sure it's not Palm Desktop, since it works fine in OS 9, so it has to be something in OS X. Repairing Permissions, deleting the com.palm.os files, and uninstalling/reinstalling Palm Desktop have all not worked. It has to be a Unix issue with the Palm OS, because no files appear to be locked when you do "Get Info" on ANY of them. There is an answer. There are people synching with OS X just fine from 10.2 all the way to 10.3.4, so there HAS to be an answer. What is it? :mad: :mad:

Back