Unbeliveable

macco

Look above : it's me
MY ibook is crazy, really it went bananas.

The story is that the HDD of my ibook G4 went dead. really dead. so they reaplaced with a new one of 80 GB. I was happy: the posibilities :))) all the bad for the better I thought ( the old one was 60GB)

So before XMAS I installed Tiger and in the end it gave the problems I have posted before.
I posted two threads on this forum one about the fact that my ibook did not boot sometimes but rathare prefferd the blinking folder screen, and the second that by dashboard went missing in action. Well I tried all the tricks in the book (that I knew) including using the pacifist to exatract the dashboard from the tiger DVD, Nothing worked.

During the weekend I tried rebooting my ibook, well it did not restart In fact what it was giving me the spalsh screen with the apple logo and the moving lines and after a while the logo would dissapear leaving just the moving lines.

Well I reinstalled Tiger, I formatted my HD, (no data loss:))), I updated to 10.4.4 It restarted corectly and then after like ion hour I decided to restart as it got blocked with applications opened : Mail and Safari. Well it does not boot anymore.... It has the same problem as before, even better now after some time after the logo dissappears, the mobing lines are dissaperaring too leabinf just a nice blue screen (damn Windows like :))).

I was hoping you might have some ideas of some sort.

Well I think I am in the twilight zone of the Ibook world.

Macco

I tried to check the disk using disk utility (via the tiger DVD). When I am verifying the disk the following thing comes out:

Verifiying volume "HD"
Invalid Volume Header
Checking HFS Plus Volume
Checking Extents overflow file
Checking CAtalog File
Checking multi-linked files
Checking Catalog hierarchy
Checking Volume bitmap
Checking volume information
The volume HD needs to be repaired

Error: the underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS Volume checked
Volume needs repair

When I try to repair it repairs it no problems, saing just a the end volume repaired. and now it boots and it is working again.

Can anybody tell me what is "Invalid Volume Header" and why it appears ?

Thanks a bunch...

MAcco

macco said:
During the weekend I tried rebooting my ibook, well it did not restart In fact what it was giving me the spalsh screen with the apple logo and the moving lines and after a while the logo would dissapear leaving just the moving lines.

Lines on the screen unfortunately are generally a sign of a bad logic board. Given what you've said, that very well might be your problem. Is it still under warranty?

It seems that I wrote something stupid, there were not lines on the screens, but rather the rotating lines under the logo....

sorry for the misunderstanding.....

I still wouldn't rule out a logic board issue... There is some hardware issue here that is not necessarily related to your harddrive. Do you have aftermarket RAM installed?

If on your iBook harddrives just seem to be "eaten alive" as you describe (i.e. they fail to boot after some time, need repairing), I'd say there's three possible causes:

1.) The drives are actually bad. Replacement should help. You had that done. Two bad drives? Not really so probable...
2.) The harddrive _controller_ is failing somehow. This would mean a motherboard replacement. If it's under warranty, send it in as soon as possible laying out the whole story as clearly as you can.
3.) You're using an application that does it and have installed it on the new drive again. I remember Norton's disk tools to have some strange and bad effects on drives, but if you haven't installed any of that, it could be something different, too.

Thanks a bunch guys for the replies,

Now I really am desperate,
Well it did it again.... I thought that a fsck would fix it , not true, again it does not boot, in fact it does two things:
1. It can display the blinking folder, going in that infinite loop
2. it displays the logo, the logo dissapears and lines moving etc.

Damn I am tired. I guess i am just unlucky......they kept for 3 weeks to change the bloody HD, and they told me that they did non know what happened. now again....Probably I will take it today to the Apple Centre.

P.s Now the error that disk utility gives is :

Error: the underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

any ideas what would this mean?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the bugging but probably my ibook soon will learn how to fly :))

First to answer diablojota's question about the ram: yap the ibook has a 1GB module bought 2 months after I bought the ibook.

One last development of the my Unlucky ibook before going to the Apple centre tomorrow morning. that is:
Now when I boot in single-user mode. It hangs and "says"

hfs_swap_BTNode: record #-1 invalid offset (0x7FF8)
node=1802 fileID=4 volume=HD device=root_device
Load of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 85

I know that at the moment there is nothing I can do to fix it, but I just wanted to understand what is going on, as I am sure that tomorrow at the Apple centre they will try to sell me lots of bollocks that this happened or the other thing went wrong .....

Thanks again a lot.

When I've seen this error reported by Disk Utility;

Error: the underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)

The hard drive is usually bad, but could be the IDE controller or logic board.

You said;

Well I reinstalled Tiger, I formatted my HD, (no data loss)
If in doing this, you didn't lose any data, then you didn't reformat it.

Back