Underclocking a Dual G5

Lt Major Burns

"Dicky" Charlteston-Burns
Hello all, not posted on here in a while, but i know someone will be able to help here!

I have a late 2004 dual G5, which was once the powerhorse that served me very well, but now sits in the bedroom at home serving music and occasional internetting. i like to listen to music in bed quite quietly, and the 9 fans that the G5 uses to keep itself cool are surprisingly noisy in the wee small hours...

is there a way to ramp down the CPUs (currently 1.8ghz) to something really low, with the side affect beign that the fans start turning verrry slowly?

i mean, if a 300mhz ibook can run itunes no probs, i hardly need 2x 1.8ghz to do the same job, right? i've heard that macbook users use coolbook to ramp down their cpus and offer a cooler experience when the power isn't needed, but this is only compatible with the newer macbooks, is there something i can do (possibly even open firmware) to do the same to this old timer?

i've googled to no real avail... many thanks to anyone who can help!

Can't find a way to underclock it but maybe you could install quieter fans. I've heard the noctua ones are especially silent. That's if they are standard 120mm case fans anyway. I remember some of them are in that weirdly shaped plastic housing you take out to upgrade the ram.

EDIT - hey LT, long time no see! :)

ah yeah hi! been mad busy this end over the last few months...

to be honest, i don't want to buy any magic-bean solutions off the internet to get allegedly quieter fans, i'd prefer to underclock and not need any fans at all! there must be a way...

Back