Unfreakin' real: csh-2.05a#

timzilla

Registered
THis is a nightmare.

I've wiped my iMac HD clean, installed OS9.1 & .2 then OSX, now Jaguar.

Finished installing disk 1 rebooted.. then while starting up (apple screen) it stops. Freezes right after I hear the speakers 'click' then in the top left hand corner with a black background it says:

csh-2.05a#

...and nothing. Frozen.

I tried booting from CD, but nothing.

Any ideas?

'zilla

Originally posted by timzilla
THis is a nightmare.

I've wiped my iMac HD clean, installed OS9.1 & .2 then OSX, now Jaguar.

Finished installing disk 1 rebooted.. then while starting up (apple screen) it stops. Freezes right after I hear the speakers 'click' then in the top left hand corner with a black background it says:

csh-2.05a#

...and nothing. Frozen.

I tried booting from CD, but nothing.

Any ideas?

'zilla

Did you install the firmware update for Jaguar CD1? Anyways, if you have peripherals other than mouse and keyboard connected, unplug them and restart...

Did you try to reset the PRAM?

Did you try to boot into "Safe Mode" or even "Single Mode" (aka Verbose Mode, if I'm not mistaken :p )?

Also, from what CD did you try to boot from? I would try first Jaguar CD1 and if that would fail I would go for OS 9 CD...

Let us know... This is a first for me... I've never even heard about such a problem...

PS. Did you try to access Apple's forums online via another computer?
PS. Maybe you should take your iMac to your nearest authorized Apple Store... :rolleyes:

Just don't panic! :D ;)

:)

Yeah, pretty much done everything possible boot-wise. The folks as macosxhints.com say:

After messing about trying to get SMB sharing to work with Windows XP, I had restarted SMB services several times (using a third-party Samba prefspane and config tool). I eventually rebooted the machine and got that awful feeling after seeing the #sh blah blah prompt scrawl itself over my Jaguar boot screen.

It turns out that Samba has a penchant for deleting and replacing the /etc/hostconfig file. Fortunately, I had found out this information beforehand following a similar incident last week after I'd spent two days trying to fix everything. This time, however, I had partitioned my drive and had an OS 9 disk to boot from. Using FileBuddy, I renamed /etc/hostconfig.old to /etc/hostconfig, and the computer booted into X fine.

It seems bizarre to me that the absence of this one file can cause OS X to totally fall on its face in this way. Now potentially this could happen when the system is interrupted doing anything which rewrites this file, I suppose. That might include changing any Network Settings or turning off and on any sharing options.

So just in case you do ever get that nasty prompt and the sinking heart feeling try to get onto your drive and see if the hostconfig file exists. It might just save you a bit of time.

[robg adds: This is a particularly nasty effect. I tested it on an iBook 500 (creating a backup of hostconfig first), and sure enough, delete hostconfig, and the system is unusable. You can't even boot into single user mode. Well, you can, but you can't do anything useful like replace the hostconfig file. I booted the iBook in FireWire target disk mode from my desktop Mac, restored the backed up hostconfig, and then rebooted the iBook. All was fine. I'm not sure how you'd recover a machine that lacked OS 9 or another machine to boot it with -- thoughts?]

---

I tried some follow up suggestions, but nothing has worked.

I'm going to try booting in 9, re-formatting and re-installing...again!

Thanks,
Tim

is that what happened to your iMac timzilla? or just a possible problem / solution?

I have exactly the same. Well almost in my case it is "sh -2.05a#" which from my references means it is in a Bourne shell whatever that is.

It isn't really a freeze, you can type commands but in this new "friendlier, easier to use" Mac OS there is no way out unless you are proficient in UNwhich i am not.

Hold Cmd-V when you start up and tell us what the UNIX gobbledygook says when the problem occurs.

It seems bizarre to me that the absence of this one file can cause OS X to totally fall on its face in this way.

What the author of this statement doesn't realize is that it's one of the most important files on the box.

It's like trying to boot OS 9 after someone has deleted your System file.

Wade

Hi, just jumping in on this thread because I am exactly where timzilla was.
turn on computer, grey on grey apple with the sh-2.05a# prompt
when I logout I get "etc/rc: /etc/hostconfig: no such file or directory"

SO, in reading this i didn't see how to overcojme this, except to boot in OS 9. And here is the big question.
How do I do that...
Arrrgh.

Back