uninstall software

asalerni

Registered
How can I unistall generic software?
I'm really new on Mac, I have Mac OSX 10.2.8, I installed some programs by .dmg package and some other by .sea package, but I don't how unistall them.

for example the .sea package have created a folder but even if I remove a folder the program still work!!! :confused:

ok, i read the instruction and it's good but I need also to remove simple programs installed not by .pkg

just throw the application in the trash... Then find all the files with the programs name. Or search the Library directory ( home and root) for prefrence files with your program name after the com.programname.plist

readme's might tell you where all related files are.

Or just type the name of the app in the search window (cmd +f) and trash all the relavent files and folders that come up.

All this talk of trashing has given me a good idea.
My little plan is for an app that does all the above, searches all the relavent places (ie prefs, app support etc) and then all the other places and then presents the result in a single window divided into user and system panes. From there apps and their files can be selectively trashed thus simplifying the process tremendously.

Have a look at the attached thumbnail and give me thoughts and comments please.

Thanks.

Attachments

• app-concept.jpg
    app-concept.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 27
Would be a good idea if the program found all files that were installed.

atleast its better than Windows... that left files all over the place from uninstalled programs, also left the registry in a mess... thank god for mac

On the Windows side of things, I usually use Symantec's CleanSweep to monitor all installs and remove everything when needed.

It's really too bad we don't have that on the Mac.

In the old days of the Mac OS, installing was usually just a matter of trashing the application's folder and removing any extensions or cdevs. Now it puts files all over the place and does wierd stuff. Secretive stuff. hehe.

Actually I have been quite annoyed about holes in the Mac's software library - There doesnt seem to be any "idiot proof" programs for uninstalling software or for cleaning your system which does it all for you with a few clicks - I bought SpringClean - I hate it - Everything has to be done manually - for example - it searches your system, finds 1000 files and YOU need to decide what is to be done with them - clicking each individual file is a waste of my life to be honest, and considering the shear mass of programs that do all this in a simple way for you on the PC, im well pissed off there isnt a decent app like this for the mac.

oh my god, I was thinking I was stupid to can't find a simple way to remove the programs, but now I feel better. Anyway, I can't believe that this is the truth, really it doesn't exist a simple uninstaller on Mac OSX???

It's the truth that on windows the uninstaller doesn't work very good sometimes, but the program's removed!!! Yesterday i trashed a simple program in Mac OSX providing to zip/unzip the files then I launched a zip file and the program still worked!!!! I was really surprised and a little bit desperated

Back