Uninstall stuff?

SAbsar

Mac Graduate
Okay, im a switcher... will someone tell me how do i uninstall some somftware from my OS 10.2.6??

That depends, which software? some software comes with an uninstaller, Others you can remove just by trashing the App and the folder it's in. Other software may need more attention and knowledge to remove (sorry, this ain't windows, no remove/install programs control panel here, not that it works the greatest either, as you can maybe remember)

Yeah... but i guess i still would appreciate such an option. Is there any software available that will help me with this? i have SEVERAL software to remove... including office X, photoshop 6 (coz i need to install photoshop 7)... also if i install photoshop 7 without removing 6, what will happen? what will happen if i remove photoshop 6 AFTER i install 7???

DAMN! im confused.. but i love my mac :D

You can just throw Office and PS away, and nothing will happen if you do it in another order..

with most of the software (except the ones that mess with your system like Dave argh I hate that POS) just dragging the program to the trash will do it. The only leftovers of them are gonna be some files in your library folder, which do not slow the system down as windows registry does, as they are just files that app reads when it needs em (preferences mostly). So they will only take some kb of your disk space.

so, just find your app and drag it to the trash, why would you need a control panel item for this? ;)

One of my favourite things about the Mac: No registry!

Step 1: Drag undesired application folder to trash
Step 2: Empty Trash
Step 3: Do the happy dance.

If you install Photoshop 7 before tossing PS 6, the only side effect will be a little wasted space. Try opening PS 6, then quit it and open PS 7. It should make no difference at all! (Actually, don't try this because PS takes forever to open. But take my word for it.) The upgrade version of Photoshop doesn't care whether you have a previous version installed already, as long as you have a serial number for a previous version that you can enter.

You can check whether the app you want to uninstall placed files or folders in (~)/Library/Application support or (~)/Library/preferences. You can delete those, but if you are simply upgrading your application, the newer version can use the old prefs, so in that case you can better keep them to keep your settings. Also certain types of registration are stored in support/prefs folders, so be carefull what you throw away ...

Thank you everyone.. I never thought removing a program would be such a no-frills action!!! :D

The beauty of Windows... it hides the simplicity of using a computer behind six layers of complexity.

Back