UNIX basics?

iceyg

Funky Member
hey
I was a 9 wizard, but the migration to X has made me stupid, so sorry if this sounds like an elementary problem. I hope to know more about UNIX someday.
I was in itunes and I noticed some color me badd tags were not right, so I tried to correct them and it wouldn't let me. I go to the directory and it turns how some how, this directory name "C.M.B." is write protected. So I ended up changing the tags through ftp to another computer, then upload back, but I can't delete the old C.M.B. directory since it is write protected. So, I go to the terminal and try to do a "sudo rmdir" and, after the password, it just says "Directory not empty." Well gee, I know that! I want to delete this folder without having to boot 9, can someone help?

BRENT

Basically, rmdir only removes an empty directory; this means you have two choices, either remove everything in it, then rmdir it, or use the recursive flag of rm,

Code:
sudo rm -r non-empty-directory

Have a look at AdmiralAK's Unix Basics thread for a good intro.

Decent! it work, and I'm printing out that whole thing on Unix basics. A start to a new life here :)

Be SO SO careful when you start messing around in Terminal and start deleting etc... You can do a lot of damage. I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else, but someone once said to me:

"There are only 2 kinds of Unix users - those who have done 'sudo rm -r' on the wrong directory, and those who will"

Back