Unix Exe files on Server

jattenth

Registered
I have a problem with Unix Executable Files. On a certain mac, when I access a file from our server using 10.4.11 most files display as Unix Executable File.

I can go to another mac and it will show the same file with the proper file creator icon and description.

I am not sure why this single 10.4.11 mac is doing this. has anyone else experienced this?

I have a problem with Unix Executable Files. On a certain mac, when I access a file from our server using 10.4.11 most files display as Unix Executable File.

I can go to another mac and it will show the same file with the proper file creator icon and description.

I am not sure why this single 10.4.11 mac is doing this. has anyone else experienced this?
There is no expectation that any two Macs will have the same file associations. Associations can be as granular as file-by-file. MacOS X inherited this behavior from NeXTstep.

That said, I am curious about applications displaying as Unix executables on any of your Macs. The thing that makes this odd is that MacOS X applications are not files, they are special folders called application bundles. At the heart of each bundle is an executable binary file. The other files in each bundle contain the resources required to implement the various features of the application's GUI. The bundle should have the extension .app. Absent a custom icon, a bundle should display a generic application icon. Absent the .app extension, it should display a generic folder icon.

well...i am using a clean, specific image on each iMac. So, all of the macs have the same structure.

Mac A (the issue) has all of its Applications. In the Finder, everything appears in order. When I attach to a XSERVE all of the contents in a folder appear as UNIX executables. I know these files are Quark files.

Mac B (20 others) when attached to same XSERVE and same folder, all of the contents appear correctly. Indeed you see the Quark icons on the files.

Interestingly enough, on Mac A, if I login as another user they don't have this issue. So, I am curious...is there a plist or a cache file that controls this? I don't want to recreate a profile and re-migrate the error.

I have had this with some files myself, it normally meant the system didn't understand the file I think, or they had dodgy permissions/metadata.

You've repaired permissions etc I assume?

Back