UNIX Family Tree

Originally posted by strobe
Notice that Linux didn't contribute anything

GPV at work. They do have a compiler, destroying the market for a decent one, I would pay for if anyone were to sell one.

Notice that Linux didn't contribute anything

Darn it, you always have to pinch my nerves! (But thats what spices this board up, so keep at it!)

Anyway, I think linux has contributed lots to the unix community. If I had not purchased RedHat 6.1 several years ago, I wouldn't have a clue about Solaris, Mac OS X, or linux.

I think that has happened to lots of people. Linux has contributed lots. Many programs are ported from linux to unix (as apposed to vice-versa). None of my friends run Solaris or ultrix or irix, etc. But lots of them run some form of linux (redhat, turbo, etc). I guess its the price...

Originally posted by kilowatt

Darn it, you always have to pinch my nerves!

Lol, you bit. I read that comment and had my nerves pinched too, but on closer observation saw only a juicy worm wriggling tempingly on the end of a hook and line.

I like your counter though, you highlight Linux's contribution as an lever to introduce people to the world of unix like systems. Same goes for the other free unix clones (the *BSD's).

I might as well throw another comment in while I'm here :)

I would imagine that any cross pollination of Operating System technology (which is what that chart shows) from Linux to the closed source Unix variants has been prevented by the GPL. Which of cause is what the GPL was designed to do, stop open source from becoming closed.

- nd

You can't close open source, that's a myth. Once something is in the public domain, you can't remove it. You can't, for example, 'steal' source code which is public domain or under the BSD license, well unless you use RMS's definition of 'steal'. (waa, you used my code in a product you charge money for. I want my code back...you buglar!)

just a side note:

I believe that Microshaft has admitted to placing free BSD code into windows 2000 (the networking stuff).

You can't close open source, that's a myth. Once something is in the public domain, you can't remove it. You can't, for example, 'steal' source code which is public domain or under the BSD license, well unless you use RMS's definition of 'steal'. (waa, you used my code in a product you charge money for. I want my code back...you buglar!)

Huh? I don't understand what you're getting at. Don't mix statements about the GPL and BSD licenses though, as they are completely different beasts. The BSD license as I understand it allows anyone to do what the hell they like with the code, including incorporation into closed source proprietary products. Where as the GPL does not.

Whether that makes one better than the other depends on your own personal philosophy.

This whole subject is a potential mine field :)

- nd

The BSD license as I understand it allows anyone to do what the hell they like with the code, including incorporation into closed source proprietary products. Where as the GPL does not.

That's exactly what strobe said :p

What kind of job does this guy/girl has if he made this thing, damm. but i'm not saying this is a boring thing, very intresting.

He is probably a teenage computer afficionado with no girlfriend :D
(I have tried compuling vesrion numbers and a lits of OSes that exist for all platforms and I cannot find them all so I gave up lol :p)

I di have a partial list of 12 pages though :D

Admiral

I'm not to sure about the string from were Rhapsody DR1 starts. For example, it has a link from NetBSD to RDR2, but I seem to recall the man pages say many of the tools were ported from OpenBSD (okay, that is picky, but still). And then to have Mac OS X Server 10.0.x be on the same line as Mac OS X Server 1.x, I think not! They're are related by name only.

It was cool to see A/UX was remembered. I've been playing with A/UX 3.0.1 on my Quadra 700 lately (actually mainly the System 7.0.1 part) to compare a number of platform from around 1991-92. I can remember people telling me that PCs (running Windows 3.1) were better way back then. I don't see how they came compare to the Macs, Suns or SGIs of the same time period (or even OS/2 Warp on a PC for that matter).

I would love to see where CDE, X-Windows, Open Windows, KDE, and GNOME overlay on that history.

Back