UNIX Newbie Question About "TOPS"

AKMedia

Registered
I tried SSH for the first time yesterday and it is really cool. While logged into my iMac from my Powerbook via SSH I wanted to see running processes and memory usage on the iMac. At the prompt I typed "tops" instead of "top" and got a whole slew of text that basically confused and bewildered me.

Can someone explain (in relatively simple terms) what it is I did (like for instance if invoking "tops" had the potential to or did screw anything up on my machine) and what "tops" is?

To try and satisfy my own curiousity, I looked this command up in man, but that confused me further, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

tops is a command designed for programmers which does massive name-changes on selectors, variable names, function calls, etc. You would use this after renaming some global identifier so that all your source uses the new name. tops is useful because the regular expressions for replacing Obj-C selectors and message calls are quite complex. tops could be used for search-and-replace on just about any text file, but unless you need to muck with Objective-C or affect several files, the replace function in many text editors and word processors is sufficient.

Back