Unknown app affecting 9.2 IC Panel

Old Man

Registered
Using OS X.1.1 with access to internet OK, but had to reinstall 9.2.1 and (using 9.2) I am unable to access intenet. Find TCP/IP panel OK but Internet Control Panel has been altered.
After correcting Internet Control Panel items and saving, I get message stating "Another application has changed your Internet Preferences..."
Each time I correct the User Acct ID and the Incoming Mail Server items,save and close the panel and then reopen it, I find the items altered
Checked DSL service with provider, all OK with line and DSL modem and nothing in OS X.1.1 intenet prefs seems out of order. Unable to find cause of alteration of internet items.

I would trash your Internet Config preferences and then set them back up from scratch.

Other than that, I'd make sure that you don't have something running in the background (like an extension) that might be altering your configuration.

Also, what is it changing exactly? Does it just show garbage in the panel, old settings, or what?

After correcting two items in the Internet Cntl Pnl, saving changes, closing and then reopening it, the User Account ID entry has been changed with the (required) "@domain" erased. The Incoming Mail Server has the "domain @" added in front of the domain name.

Have completed an hour discussing the problem wih Apple tech. We trashed preferences, restarted using only Mac Base system items and still found the control panel changed. A message stating that "Another application has changed your settings.." is still a bit mysterious. However, we fouind no such app after a bushel of tries. (Need to access internet for updating firewall and antivirus apps.)

After two one hour sessions with Apple support personnel to no avail, I went back to DSL provider and working together, we got me using internet from OS 8.2.1.
DSL provider's software works but I have my doubts since the Internet Control Panel still shows corrupted User ID and Incoming Mail data. Also their Enternet 300 Panel(Pac Bell, etc.) works much like Apple's Remote Access Panel.
I need OS 9.2 very little but needed to update Firewall and Virus Protection Apps done best by LIveUpdate. That done and being online, I turn away.
Thanks for you help.
Old Man

Back