UNO - The Sunken Unified GUI

ShadowTech

Registered
http://gui.interacto.net/

How many of you guys use this, out of curiosity?

I can't go back after installing this, but I have noticed a couple bugs since updating to the latest version. If anyone else has the latest version installed, could you verify these bugs I have been seeing? I emailed the author about them but I haven't got a response yet.

Basically, the update fixed some previous problems, but the Firefox theme no longer is there, and some applications have the names in the title bar greyed out.

Any info/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• windows.jpg
    windows.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 31
It's been discussed on the forum before. Seems like quite a buggy theme of some sort. Can't go back? The installer offers that option, doesn't it.

i think by "can't go back" shadowtech meant he loves it so much he wont go back to the standard apple gui.

i used it for a day or two - but in the end i just thought - "its buggy - some of the screendraws are pretty bad - its essentially a hack - i'll wait for apple to do this themselves". just when something gets fixed you open up an app that you havent used in an age and find its a bit flakey under the UNO theme.

The nice thing about this is that it actually offers a decent unified interface that is consistent all around. However, it does apply the unified theme to items that really don't need it or don't benefit from it, like the Dashboard bar. I actually like the grilled holes look. But for Finder windows and applications, it looks great.

If Apple listened to their users and got rid of that stupid metal people wouldn't be having problems like this.

Veljo said:
If Apple listened to their users and got rid of that stupid metal people wouldn't be having problems like this.

I would have to agree. The metal look was cool for a short while. Then it got kind of annoying. Sometimes less is more, as is with the unified interface.

I mean look at the Gnome desktop environment. In the 1.x series, people were making these outrageous themes which looked cool, but weren't clean at all. Now when you look at the Gnome DE, it's a lot cleaner and simpler.

Hopefully, as mentioned before, Leopard will go this way.

I'm with you guys on the brush metal interfaces, too.
Nixgeek is exactly right - less is truly more here. Some of the themes I have seen for OS X look really really cool, but when you actually go to use them they can get in the way of you actually getting work done.

Plain and simple - yet elegant all the way!

Back