unpkg/installer issues on G4 powerbook

processor93

Registered
i've been having some issues with connecting to a firewire interface made by music hardware company alesis (see http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273911). after eliminating another problem (bad firewire cable), i've discovered a problem which may be a software issue on my G4.

COMPUTER:
G4 powerbook / 1.5GHz / 512MB DDR / DVD-R / firewire port included
shipped with 10.3.7, updated to 10.3.9

i decided to try to install the alesis program "FSTconnect" on my G5 at work and found something really interesting: on my laptop, the .PKG file on the CD shows up as a blank icon, even though i have the program unpack 2.0, which is all i have that will open .PKG files. i have to unpack the file to my desktop. the result is a folder called "FST connect installer" but it simply contains the application itself, not an installer. the application does not work properly, asking for a missing driver and opening with all fields greyed out.

however, trying to run it on my G5 tower at work (running 10.4.2), the .PKG file has a colored icon that looks like a pile of boxes, and double-clicking it opens up into a full installation process. so now i believe that something in my G4 (running OS 10.3.9) is lacking the ability to recognize and run a full installation.

[edit]:

after doing some poking around on the net and inspecting my G4, it seems i do not have the native "installer" app which a .PKG file should launch. this is why it works on my G5 tower but not my G4 laptop.

i assume this installer and its supporting files are installed as part of the system, which means i have to reinstall system software. i wonder if i can just reinstall a new 10.3.9 over my existing 10.3.9 or do i have to start from scratch, reinstall my whole system 10.3.7 from my original disk and then update to 10.3.9 all over again? or is there anyplace i might be able to find just the panther installer and related files?

[edit]:

it seems i've answered my own question with the help of an IT person. there's a wonderful program called pacifist that will open .pkg installer files and let you see the whole folder structure, allowing you to install any apps inside or extract any little piece you want to anywhere. shareware = $20. very worth it i'd say. i was able to install just the 10.3.9 installer app and all its files without having to redo anything serious.

d.

i'm happy to learn that i'm not the only one having trouble with the alesis fireport. in fact i'm experiencing the same problem on my new macbook.
so far this thread has been helpful, helping me not to give up and return the fireport to the shop.

but due to my lack of expertise i don't really understand what to do with pacifist in order to get the fireport running on my computer.

also when i try to install the programm "fst connect", i'm being told that "page conroller" cannot be installed on my computer... now what does that mean, and what can i do about it?

thank you for comments and suggestions
F

Back