Unreadable/Unmountable Volumes

aaronwelch

Registered
I cannot mount .dmg files (does not show up in Finder nor desktop). Nor can I mount CD-ROM discs. Audio discs are accepted, but not software discs. I get error messages that say that there are no readable volumes, giving me three buttons: Eject, Initialize, and Continue...

I have done the hostconfig procedure through the Console, but it has not helped. Do you know what I can do to remedy this situation? Thanks. -Aaron

P.S. I am using 10.1 on a G4 Cube

Ok, I think we need a bit more information here.

First, is this exclusive to osx?
Seccond, what is the make/model of the cdrom? (use the apple system profiler)

Is Automount running? in the terminal, type:
ps aux | grep auto
You should see something like:
root 94 0.0 0.1 2396 464 ?? Ss 0:01.11 /sbin/autodiskmount -va

Also, what error messages are generated to the console.log and system.log?
(load up the app in /Applications/Utilities called 'console'). To view the system log, just:
cat /var/log/system.log
in the terminal

Also, can you mount network devices, like apple shares and windows shares?

We'll figure this out...

also , have you run any disk diagnostic and repair programs including fsck -y in single user mode? last time i encountered a problem like this it was because of a messed up system disc and of all my repair utilities, diskwarrior was the only one that fixed it.
this sounds like a problem with your system recognizing medium rather than the medium itself.

Thanks for your help. I found the PERFECT solution to the problem on www.macosxhints.com:

Open NetInfo Manager (in Applications/Utiltiies) and see if there is a Unknown User (click on 'Users' in the Directory Browser area). If not, you have to add it back in. Create a new entry with the following settings:

realname: Unknown User
expire: 0
name: unknown
uid: 99
passwd: *
home: /dev/null
change: 0
shell: /dev/null
gid: 99

Save your changes and you should be able to mount your CD's and DMG files again.

That did the trick for me! Add it to your archives, and may it help many others!
Thanks. -Aaron

Back