unremovable desktop file

super_pup

scared.weird.little.guy
i have a file on my desktop that has been there for some months. it's an old IE file, a download that didn't ever finish. it's half an mp3. i cannot delete it. when i drag it to the trash (NOT delete is once it's in there, but actually just drag it there), all that comes up is: "The item '.Trash' is being used by another task right now."
it appears this is a Trash issue, but it empties fine with other stuff. i don't understand! i've tried logging in as a root user, and it still won't work. permissions are fine...what's goin on?

Go to Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and type "sudo rm -rf " with the space but without the quotes. Then drag the file to the Terminal and hit enter. It'll ask you for your administrator password and then do away with it. If that simple way doesn't work, I dunno...

Does your Trash work as advertised for other files? (Guess so...)

Internet Explorer is not 'warez'. It comes with your Macintosh. And MP3 files can, for example, be downloaded legally from various websites. For example: Demos of not-yet-signed bands. Some of my short stories (read by the author). Radio shows.

I realize IE comes loaded with Macs. There was nothing to suggest IE was a warez. But all of the examples you listed allow for an item to be redownloaded, which I would assume solve the problem of a file hanging up in mid-download and being undeletable from the system. That and the fact the owners of said website could also offer troubleshooting help.
If the file wasn't warez, I apologize to the original poster. But if not, my comment remains valid.

And to be helpful, I'd suggest checking apple i for info to make sure the file isn't locked somehow. And many times, if one does a reboot, a file can then be trashed as soon as the finder comes up.
Also, clearing the cache in IE (assuming it's not already set to 0) may solve the issue as well.

I'd reccomend downloading Cocktail from versiontracker - its a general system utitlity, runbs cron scripts etc, but also has a "delete locked items" option, among other things....

Randman said: "But all of the examples you listed allow for an item to be redownloaded, which I would assume solve the problem of a file hanging up in mid-download and being undeletable from the system."

Not really. If you redownload a file, it gets a different name and is saved next to the corrupt file. Doesn't solve the problem, sadly...

just to clarify, it was an mp3 of my best friend's band, downloaded from his personal website. with permission.
so um, yes.

and, guh! the terminal thingy did nae work! i dun understand. it's makin my desktop look ugmo.

*weeps with abandon*

super_pup said:
i have a file on my desktop that has been there for some months. it's an old IE file, a download that didn't ever finish. it's half an mp3. i cannot delete it. when i drag it to the trash (NOT delete is once it's in there, but actually just drag it there), all that comes up is: "The item '.Trash' is being used by another task right now."
it appears this is a Trash issue, but it empties fine with other stuff. i don't understand! i've tried logging in as a root user, and it still won't work. permissions are fine...what's goin on?

This issue is addressed in Apple's Knowledge Base article 107426

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107426

AppleGuy ::angel::

Good find! Wish Apple would explain there why _root_ can't delete those files... ;-)

If the file wasn't warez, I apologize to the original poster. But if not, my comment remains valid.

Randman
You always help people on the boards. Let's not accuse someone of doing something illegal without proof. As you can see, your comment is not valid.

Back