Unusual Networking Behavior on my Powerbook

fuzz

Registered
Sometime ago, my Appletalk stopped working on my Powerbook but I could still Connect to Server to other Apple computers in the office using Connect to Server and typing afp://<computername> or by browsing the Network and seeing the computers listed in the network. However, other computers couldn't use Appletalk to connect to my Powerbook.

Now, I can't "Connect to Server" to any other computers in the office except for one that I know the exact IP address. I can't browse the network either; it won't list any computers.

When I click on the address of a computer in the "Connect to Server" window such as afp://<computername> (listed in the Favorite Servers box), it tries to connect and then says "Connection failed ... the server may not exist and is not operational at this time."

I don't get any of these problems when I try to connect to computers in the office with any other computer, including another Powerbook via wifi, several Powermacs via ethernet, and even a Gateway with XP via wifi. I don't recall doing anything that broke this. Appletalk is enabled on all Apple computers. All Macs run 10.3.9 or 10.4.9. My Powerbook runs 10.4.9.

I used Terminal to ping the other computers using the <computername>.local address format and it works.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? Thanks!

This frequently happens if you try connecting after turning off more than one computer and then turning them on - so that they get different IP addresses. You'll need to delete any references to the other computer in Keychain and try again.
Don't forget that OS X doesn't actually use appletalk for file sharing - just for finding other devices.

Maybe this will give you more ideas:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1964.html

Back