Unusually Slow Internet Connection...

jasfa131

The Lone Deranger
All of a sudden my Connection speed dropped. Pages which took 2 seconds to load, can now take up to 25 seconds. :| I'm using Airport to connect to my wireless G router at my PC (only about 5 meters away). It's been working at decent speeds before.

Thanks in advance. (would using a wired connection solve this?)

The first thing you will want to do is run a Speedtest to make sure that it's not your ISP causing the problem. First wait a little while to see if it goes back to normal.

If not, powercycle (unplug, wait 30 seconds, plug back in) the router, and then reboot the computer.

If it is possible, yes, a wired connection I have always had much more luck with than wireless. But first see that it's not an issue with your ISP.

The speedtest results seem fast, faster than my connection, on the upload. (4500 Down, 384 Up is mine) , if the internet is seeming slower than that on the Mac, you may want to try a wired connection just to see what happens.

I have had problems with wireless before where it slows down beyond the Speedtest, even though all of that seems well.

Also, another thing to remember that a lot of people forget is that

4500 Kbps does not equal 4,500 KiloBYTES per second

4500 Kbps (kilobits per second) is actually equal to 562.5 Kilobytes Per Second, which is plenty fast enough (.5MB/s)

On that note, my 384 Kbps upload speed is equal to about 40-some Kilobytes/second. That's why my website is so slow.

:cool:

Do you think the problem might've been caused by a hot temperature? over here in Canada it's gotten a bit hotter lately. I've noticed the speed problem ever since this happened.
Also, what is "Use Interference Robustness"?

Back