Updated Apple Mail And It Hung Up, Nothing Is Working!

Jerry Kingston

Registered
A couple of days ago I updated apple mail but ager the update its hung up. Nothing seems to be working. After I launch it, I am not able to send or receive any emails. I am asked to reset it by some professional but before resetting it I want to backup all my data. I am not relying on Time Machine as well because it starts backing up everything on the mac. Looking for a decent solution to backup apple mail but how can I do it if it's hung up like this.

Please help me.

First - have you tried to restart the computer?
Second - Mac OS and Apple Mail would not give you an alert to get a professional to reset your emails. With the latest update to the OS, the system does ask to confirm your passwords. You can do this on your own in System Preferences>Accounts or Mail>Preferences>Accounts.
Third - You can indeed us Time Machine to back up. You should have a back up of all your files. You can also use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

You can go directly to the folder where Mail saves its data through the Finder and duplicate it to store a copy elsewhere. Inside the Finder, menu Go > Go to Folder and then paste this path:

~/Library/Mail/V5

It is that V5 folder you'd want to back up before reseting Mail. There is also some software solutions like mailbackupx but I never used it so I can't say what it's worth.

First - have you tried to restart the computer?
Second - Mac OS and Apple Mail would not give you an alert to get a professional to reset your emails. With the latest update to the OS, the system does ask to confirm your passwords. You can do this on your own in System Preferences>Accounts or Mail>Preferences>Accounts.
Third - You can indeed us Time Machine to back up. You should have a back up of all your files. You can also use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Yes, I tried restarting the system but it didn't help. I found the solution as Mail Backup X. This is only for emails and mailboxes.

You can go directly to the folder where Mail saves its data through the Finder and duplicate it to store a copy elsewhere. Inside the Finder, menu Go > Go to Folder and then paste this path:

~/Library/Mail/V5

It is that V5 folder you'd want to back up before reseting Mail. There is also some software solutions like mailbackupx but I never used it so I can't say what it's worth.

Thanks, Daniel. Mail Backup X was really the application I was looking for for this issue. Thanks

Back