Updating: Delta vs Combo for OS

tinroots

Registered
So, I've long long heard that downloading updates vs Software Update is far better, and for some unknown reason?, leads to less issues later.
Somehow I've translated that into download the Combo... I don't know how that translation occurred.
Is there a difference between using downloaded Delta or Combo updates? Which is best?
Also, if it's best not to use software update, within the OS, does that translate to program updates as well? ie: Adobe updates; programs within OS: itunes, ical, etc; browser updates, MS (no matter how much I hate it, I have to use it) etc?!?? Thanks.
Thoughts on 10.4.7 and 10.4.8 ?? (currently using 10.4.6) on ibook 1.42 PPC G4

Also, if it's best not to use software update, within the OS, does that translate to program updates as well? ie: Adobe updates; programs within OS: itunes, ical, etc; browser updates, MS (no matter how much I hate it, I have to use it) etc?!??G4
It should update Apple programs, but not third-party ones (Office, Adobe, etc.)

I've never had any problems with using the software update program, but some people think combo updaters are better..

I'm one of the most active voters for getting Combo updaters. (And no, this does not apply to other updates like iCal, iMovie etc. so far...)

1.) Future reference. If you have to reinstall your OS completely, it's nice to have the latest combo updater around.
2.) Proven to work. In the years since I've first installed a Mac OS X software update, I've personally had no problems at all, which almost seems strange to me, seeing how others do. But in all cases I *personally* know of in real life and 99% of the cases I heard of here, Mac OS X updates only gave problems when applying the delta updater through Software Update, and in 70% of the cases with problems, applying the combo updater afterwards _solved_ the problem.

There is only _one_ reason why _not_ to use combo updaters. Convenience. It sure is much more convenient to just press "install" and give the admin password in Software Update rather than going to Apple's website and to download the combo updater. Either way: Everybody's free to choose. I've also heard of enough people who never, ever had a problem with using the delta updaters through Software Update. Those usually, however, are the ones never installing new programs (or they let _me_ do it) who only type in Word, read/send Mail and browse the web. Plus maybe a nice screensaver. I think much of the problems a delta updater can encounter has to do with permission-hiccups and not finding stuff it is expecting to be there. Things that can happen by installing a lot of 3rd party software and messing around in your Library and Application Support folders.

Back