Upgrade Qsilver 867 to Dual 1000?

joe23

Registered
I have a Quicksilver 867 at work and wonder if it is possible to swap the processor card with a dual 1Gz procerssor card from one of the new macs - I would buy the new DP machine for home and swap them so my work machine would be that much faster.
It seems like they are the same box - bus, etc just the processor card is different.
Opinions?

Lemme get this straight...while the world is stealing RAM from work, you'll actually give your work-comp 1,133Ghz MORE juice.
My guess, it'll work fine, but you'd better switch the heat-sing as well, or that system's gonne burst into flames.

well of course, I would switch them back when I left...
I assume the heat sink would go with the CPUs -
It's all one card, no?

You're right - that never occurred to me.... ;-)

but seriously, the 867 belongs to my office and I don't want to start dragging boxes in and out - I figured it was eaiser to switch the processor cards.

It'd be a tiresome routine.
Try pulling a 2-buttoned mouse forth and back. You'll stop doing it after 3 days.
There's NO WAY you'd bother to operate those Macs EVERY DAY...

I too have a Quicksilver 867 and now I have a dual 1GHZ card on the way from another QS and would like to know if anyone has tried to swap processors out successfully?

the qs cpus should all be interchangeable. should being the key word. check out xlr8yourmac.com. they are a great place to learn on apple cpu swapping.

Back