Upgrade server 10.4

yarabe

Registered
Hello

I want to upgrade our server from os x 10.3 to a 10.4 tiger server. I was wondering if i need to update my workstations also to 10.4. Will it give any problems to leave them at 10.3.9?

thanks a lot for your help.

Yarabe

Absolutely not! You can update the server to 10.4 and the 10.3.x clients will work fine with the 10.4 server. I have several clients with this situation.

Thanks a lot, for your quick reply. The people where i'm buying the software told me i needed to update my (13!) workstations also. Something about reading and writing permissions...

Thanks a lot, for your quick reply. The people where i'm buying the software told me i needed to update my (13!) workstations also. Something about reading and writing permissions...

Any server should be okay for mixed environments. I even use pure CLASSIC mac's to access both a 10.3 server and a 10.4 server.

Basicly there is no need to upgrade CLIENTS if upgrading a server (if not in a hurry, maybe wait for 10.5 ?).

Still it may happen that under circumstances problems may arise, which are solved in a next version of the system and/or application software.

Good luck with the server upgrade ... Kees

Hi Kees (also from the Netherlands?)

Thanks for the support, i will upgrade the server first and will see what happens. If i run into any problems i will let you know.

Install Tiger Server on a firewire drive and test from there. That way you can reboot from Panther Server in case there's any issues.
I also recommend doing a clean install of Tiger. Don't upgrade your Panther Server install.

Absolutely not! You can update the server to 10.4 and the 10.3.x clients will work fine with the 10.4 server. I have several clients with this situation.

Okay, does that mean that i can work with the 10.4 server with 13 macs running 10.3 and 5 macs running 10.4. We'll be working in each others documents so there's no trouble with reading and saving files (permissions)?
(maybe it sounds real stupid, but i just want to be sure) Thanks again for your help.

You should not have any problems. If you have folks using Microsoft Office, you should make sure they are fully up-to-date with the latest update.

One of my customers publishes a bi-weekly magazine and I have their server on 10.4.7, some clients on 10.4.x and others on 10.3.x. Some are using Office X and others are using Office 2004 and there have been no issues related to the mixed OS environment.

Okay, does that mean that i can work with the 10.4 server with 13 macs running 10.3 and 5 macs running 10.4. We'll be working in each others documents so there's no trouble with reading and saving files (permissions)?
(maybe it sounds real stupid, but i just want to be sure) Thanks again for your help.

Basicly, no problem. Permissions problems can always occur, because in that situation the program used can be an issue.

Permissions settings are improved in 10.4, reducing the number of problems with permissions.

Good luck, kees

The company I work for upgraded its server to 10.4 and experienced some major growing pains along the way. Rule #1: Make sure the installation does not get interrupted for any reason. :) We ended up losing all our data on the server TWICE in 6 months due to someone installing updates without regard to the firmware requirements. argh.

At that time the firmware didn't cover the lacie back up drive we had and the conflict caused data loss. Make sure your back up device's firmware is fully updated and supported by Tiger Server.

So now we have Tiger server but I run 10.3.9 without issue on my station.

You probably need to set up a script for permissions sweeping because permissions issues between users cause files to be set as Read Only. Also, to control the permissions setting for each station, go to VersionTracker.com and download "TinkerTool" and set each station's permissions to ReadWrite for all users except Other Users. It's a little time consuming but your users can help you finish the task.

I haven't run into any of these permissions issues on the server I upgraded from 10.3.9 to 10.4.x with mixed clients. I would suggest that perhaps the configuration of your workgroups and share points is not correct.

Back