upgrade?

hndsmman

Creative Genius
I have G4 my processor is 350 MHz with 512 MB SDRAM. My question is waht's more important for speed to upgrade? the memory of the processor?

512mb of Ram is enough for any system software right now. The speed of proccessor can make it up there, but it will be very slow.

with that setup, the best thing to do, if you want to upgrade and not get a new mac, is to get a new cpu. 1.2ghz are the best bang for the buck right now, and i wouldn't even concider one below 1ghz in speed. then i'd up the ram if i had any money left. but you should also upgrade the video card, and max the ram out if you plan on using that mac as your main computer for a long while. just to let you know, my mac started as 466mhz g4, and its been upgraded, as you can see from my sig, but it still shows its age. on older apps, and most os related items, it does feel snappy, but if i run any newer app, it really feels like i havn't upgraded. at this point, unless there is a good reason for you to want to keep using that old a mac, you should save your money to buy a new intel mac instead of upgrading.

Back