Upgradedb error after Leopard u/g

Dabow

Registered
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone may be able to shed some light on why I am receiving continuous "The application upgradedb quit unexpectedly" messages after my recent upgrade to Leopard. If I try and 'Relaunch' the message pops up again. If I 'Ignore' it disappears for a while then later reappears. This is perhaps a general message, but if someone can point me in the right direction as to what may be causing it and how I can fix/remove it that would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Did you install 10.5 client on 10.4 Server?

I've only seen upgradedb error messages on server. Are you trying to upgrade mail databases? (p. 42)
This is for 10.4 upgrade but unless they changed the location of the Server's core services, it should still be valid.

If it's on normal Mac OS X 10.5 client, which application launches this upgradedb message? Some database is trying to upgrade itself, and it would be good to know what it was.

Open Console (Applications/Utilities) when it starts to give this error again, and then look at Console to see what it says (post the code it will generate then, it will contain what asked for what in your system).

Giaguara,

Many thanks for the advice. This was a straight forward upgrade from Tiger client to Leopard client. When it reappears (so far it hasn't appeared tonight) I'll follow your suggestion

/System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/SyncServer.app/Contents/Resources/upgradedb is where it's calling it from.. so SyncServer.app. Core services in the Mac.

Would you have Missinc Sync app installed?

Let's see if it's something with permissions..
In Terminal (Applications/Utilities), type

Code:
ls -lias /System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/SyncServer.app/Contents/Resources/upgradedb

For comparison, on a healthy 10.4 the output would be something like
462336 2008 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1026116 Apr 25 2007 /System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/SyncServer.app/Contents/Resources/upgradedb
At least the owner and permissions should be the same.
What do you get with that command as output?

What I have what installed, exactly?

Here's some output. Note my file seems to be larger than your's.

% ls -lias /System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/SyncServer.app/Contents/Resources/upgradedb
1762993 3216 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 1643440 Oct 4 23:16 /System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/SyncServer.app/Contents/Resources/upgradedb
% file /System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/SyncServer.app/Contents/Resources/upgradedb
/System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/SyncServer.app/Contents/Resources/upgradedb: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
/System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/SyncServer.app/Contents/Resources/upgradedb (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O executable ppc
/System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/SyncServer.app/Contents/Resources/upgradedb (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386
% /System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/SyncServer.app/Contents/Resources/upgradedb
Bus error

Hm, permissions for it are ok, it should be able to execute it. So next probability is .mac sync database or other corruption error.

Do you have .Mac sync enabled? If so, in System Preferences, .Mac, try if any of these or these tips work, if not ...
"Reset Sync Data..." (make a backup of everything that you sync there first, just in case). That should reset the database.

Apple recommends staying away form the sync folder, but if it doesn't go away with any of those other options, may need to try as the next resort.

If any of those steps will fix it, I'm curious to see which one did it as I've never seen this exact error on Client as said :)

No luck with the above. But I found two probably related problems:

1. In the .Mac System Preference, I can only select tabs "Account", "iDisk" and "Back to My Mac"; clicking on the "Sync" tab half-grays it out and the tab never comes up. Feels like something crashed underneath.

2. Running the iSync application itself produces an error message on startup: "iSync can't be launched / SyncServices: Can't connect to the sync server: NSInvalidReceivePortException: connection went invalid while waiting for a reply ((null))". Confirming the dialog quits the app so it never comes up.

Something tells me that this wasn't something an end user was supposed to see ...

The Syncrospector.app appears to work normally, nothing seems to be wrong there.

Hm :-/

Did you repair permissions after 10.5 upgrade? Even though that database file shows correct permisisons, maybe the path still has something failing.

If you go with Finder to ("go to folder" from menus) /System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/ and open (right click) SyncServer "Get Info" from that location, in that window under General section, select "Open using Rosetta", and close that window. Try again ... does it launch if it's running under Rosetta?

Trying to look at all options instead of Archive and Install (since 'Repair Install' will probably be one of the updates in 10.6 or 10.7 ....)

Did you repair permissions after 10.5 upgrade? Even though that database file shows correct permisisons, maybe the path still has something failing.
Yes I did.

If you go with Finder to ("go to folder" from menus) /System/Library/Frameworks/SyncServices.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/ and open (right click) SyncServer "Get Info" from that location, in that window under General section, select "Open using Rosetta", and close that window. Try again ... does it launch if it's running under Rosetta?
I tried several variations on that one. Apparently one cannot start SyncServer.app either via double-click in the Finder, nor from the command line -- Console reports "User's SyncServer must not be launched except by launchd. Exiting process."
So I tried launchctl and "start com.apple.syncservices.SyncServer", which reliably reproduces the popup error message about updatedb but fails to start the process.
Whether or not the Rosetta checkbox is checked seems to make no difference whatsoever.
Rebooting made no difference either, except that "something" is unchecking the Rosetta checkbox during a reboot.

I think my best guess at this point is simply that my upgradedb executable is corrupted for some reason. Everything seems to be depending on that one.

Anybody know how to get dtrace to print out a list of files that it is accessing, I want to run it on upgradedb to see whether that gives me a clue ... and now that ktrace is gone and I don't know how to use dtrace ...

Dtrace needs Developer Tools to be installed.
Apple’s ported some of the DTrace Toolkit scripts over to Mac OS X. Check the manpage for some of these with man -k dtrace
There are some more examples of DTrace in the standard install at /usr/share/examples/DTTk.
Man dtrace

These should work both in OS X and Solaris:

New processes with arguments
dtrace -n 'proc:::exec-success { trace(curpsinfo->pr_psargs); }'

Files opened by process
dtrace -n 'syscall::eek:pen*:entry { printf("%s %s",execname,copyinstr(arg0)); }'

Pages paged in by process
dtrace -n 'vminfo:::pgpgin { @pg[execname] = sum(arg0); }'

Pages paged out by process
dtrace -n 'vminfo:::pgpgout { @pg[execname] = sum(arg0); }'

Minor faults by process
dtrace -n 'vminfo:::as_fault { @mem[execname] = sum(arg0); }'

More #1 #2

Ah excellent, so

trash the ~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local/ folder did it then...
(Just in case the discussions thread linked would get archived or deleted etc).
Usually touching that folder brings good karma but glad that it's fixed now :)

After waiting a while to capture this error it finally appeared again. Not sure why, but it seems to be presenting itself less an less. Here's the transcript from the console:

18/11/2007 19:16:02 SyncServer[24666] fatal error during sync server initialization: can't upgrade data directory from version 47 to version 75 (/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/SyncServices/Local)

18/11/2007 19:16:02 DockSyncClient[24665] SyncServer is unavailable: exception when connecting: connection went invalid while waiting for a reply

18/11/2007 19:16:02 DockSyncClient[24665] Dock Sync Client caught exception: ISyncServerUnavailableException: Can't connect to the sync server: NSInvalidReceivePortException: connection went invalid while waiting for a reply ((null))

18/11/2007 19:16:02 com.apple.launchd[146] (com.apple.syncservices.SyncServer[24666]) Exited with exit code: 1

18/11/2007 19:16:02 [0x0-0x19019].com.apple.dock[159] 2007-11-18 19:16:02.726 DockSyncClient[24665:10b] SyncServer is unavailable: exception when connecting: connection went invalid while waiting for a reply

18/11/2007 19:16:02 [0x0-0x19019].com.apple.dock[159] 2007-11-18 19:16:02.740 DockSyncClient[24665:10b] Dock Sync Client caught exception: ISyncServerUnavailableException: Can't connect to the sync server: NSInvalidReceivePortException: connection went invalid while waiting for a reply ((null))

Any ideas?

Rgds,

Dabow

Hm. Do you have LittleSnitch on or any firewall settings (also on router side etc)?
It tries to contact syncserver but can't.

Hi Giaguara,

Nope, nothing like that. To be honest, the more I use Leopard, the more errors I'm starting to see. My iTunes would no longer sync with my iPod, so I had to do an OS backup and restore to get around that problem. Entourage periodically bombs out for no good reason, other applications also periodically crash whereas they didn't before I moved to this OS. In terms of config, nothing has changed from my previous OS (i.e. I haven't modified any settings), so this really does look like a Leopard problem, and I'm beginning to regret more and more moving to the latest Mac OS instead of waiting for it to be a bit more stable. My whole reason for moving from Windows to Mac was stability, and my move to Tiger was a smooth one. I hope this isn't the sign of a downturn in Mac s/w quality control i.e. the users become the beta testers, as they do with Microsoft s/w :(

Hi Dabow, do you have 10.5.1 update installed yet? That should solve some of the first glitches. And this error popping on the screen is for sure frustrating.
All software are thoroughly tested before they ship, but as there are millions of ways to use software and sometimes the other software are not up to date, that could cause that some of the software fully compatible with previous versions of OS X will also need an update. Still that looks like something that is from OS X fails to upgrade (that database).
I hope 10.5.1 would solve this for you.

Back