Upgrades for IBook 500MHZ

wildchild

Registered
Hello all I just recently purchased a second hand IBook 500 MHZ laptop and was wondering what upgrades can I do at a fairly cheap cost.

Thanks

Good deal, would it make sence to go with a larger drive ? you cant do much with the 10gb hard drive. Anyone know what the largest size drive is the machine will handle ? It is a 2001 model with dual USB.

Also what about adding a DVD/CD drive that will enable me to watch movies. Will the machine hadle it ?

Thanks

Dan

Yes, you could have the hard drive changed to bigger. And the cd/dvd drive changed... changing one or two things may make sense, depending on your needs. If you want to use the iBook as your main machine, maybe selling it and getting a newer version (e.g. 800 mhz, 4 gb) may cost less (and give a faster machine) than changing first the hard drive, then cd drive etc. If you need jsut more storage space. a 60 GB external firewire hard drive (e.g. maxtor) can be bought on offer for about 100 $; if your need for storage isn't for space to be used 100 % of the time, that can be one solution.

I've got a 500mhz ibook that my wife uses. I added a 256mb chip, but plan to eventually max it to 512. RAM makes a big difference. I highly recommend maxing it out.

2.5 inch harddiscs ain'T that expensive (I think there are even some with 120GB, right?). I just think this is something you can't just do on your own. I wouldn't dare to touch my Baby or smash any screw. Don't know if anyone else ever did this in this forum, but I would also calculate some money on service-guys to build that disc in.
But Gia had a good comment with that firewire harddisc. There is another thread here which is about those discs and they are darn fast! Faster than your built-in disc or any newer ones...

Replacing the HD in an iBook certainly is a challenge. I don't think Apple certified techs will do it, either, so you've got to find some tech-savvy Mac hardware hacker with careful hands to do it for you.

We got Apple certified techs here doing this. (Gravis, if they are known outside of germany ;))
Just ask, if you don't want to go for a firewire disc

As an HD goes, would it not be cheaper and easier to use an external Firewire or USB drive. Something else to lug around but thats why they make some nice carrying cases.

Back