Upgrading a G3 (non DVD) from 10.2 to 10.3 by external DVD

Thomo

Registered
I have a G3 that I need to updrade from 10.2.8 to 10.3. I have 10.3 on a DVD but do not have a built in DVD but have access to a USB DVD drive. Have to install the new software with out any luck - Can I do this? and how? I'm not that technical!!!

thanks

I don't know if Mac OS will boot off a USB drive or not. And even if it does, you wouldn't want to since the USB ports on a G3 are USB 1.0 and really slow.

Is the G3 the only Mac you own? If you have another Mac with a DVD drive in it, you can put the OS DVD in that machine, boot the machine in target mode (essentially turns the Mac into an external hard drive) and then connect your G3 to it via firewire. You would then have access to the DVD drive across that firewire cable.

thanks for the reply, It's my only Mac! i have copied the disk to an external hard drive but it won't allow me to install from there either. is that because it's USB 1? if i connected by Firewire would that work?

10.3 on a DVD? That sounds like it's the original installation disk of a different Mac. Which'd mean you're on shaky grounds here...

is that because it won't work? I bought it off ebay as that seems to be the only way to get 10.3 and I've been tod that the G3 won't run 10.4 very well?

Back