Upgrading an Imac PPC G4 to OSX Tiger

dukefluke

Registered
I have an Imac PPC G4 with 256MB ram running at 700mhz. I would like to be able to use flash programs and watch youtube videos. I currently have OSX 10.1.5 installed and according to Adobes website I need 10.4 or better to install flash support.

I contacted the Apple store in my area and they no longer sell Leopard never mind Tiger.

I was thinking about purchasing a copy of Tiger off of Ebay but I'm not sure what to buy. Is there a PPC version that I need as opposed to an Intel?

Being a PC guy I'm not sure how it works with Apple with regards to licensing. If I purchased a windows XP CD for example I would require the product key and sticker. How does this work on Mac systems? Do I just need to buy the DVD or do I need to make sure it comes with a serial number or product key to install?

The main thing you need is a full retail copy of the system software. These discs are black with a big X on them. These will work on any suitable machine. No activation codes.

There are a lot of plain, grey coloured, install discs being sold. These will be ones that come with a new machine and will only work on machines of the same specification. So one that came with a G4 iBook will only work on an iBook, not an iMac, MacPro, etc. Very risky purchase and probably a breach of licence.

256MB of RAM is a bit low for 10.4. It may run slowly. 512 will be OK, but 1GB is a lot better.

There are a lot of plain, grey coloured, install discs being sold. These will be ones that come with a new machine and will only work on machines of the same specification. So one that came with a G4 iBook will only work on an iBook, not an iMac, MacPro, etc. Very risky purchase and probably a breach of licence.

More than that they only work with the _exact_ same model they shipped with - in short don;t bother with grey disks. Get black ones with big silver X's on them :)

You are going to need more RAM also. 10.4 will run with 256MB but thats the bare minimum. I believe those models max out at 1GB or RAM.

Back