Upgrading from OS 9.2 to????

christine29

Registered
Hi! I'm having a few problems, I'm not very familiar on how to upgrade or what the best OS would be for me. I have an iMac running OS9.2, and want to upgrade to OS 10. I already have an upgrade for OS 10.0.3 + 10.1(which I haven't installed), I'm assuming the person that sold it to me pulled the wool over my eyes cause he assured me that "IT" was the right one. Problem is I've been hearing that I should go no less than 10.2.So, my question is this...should I install what I have bought? Or what would be the better choice for me if not?Any advice or comments would help :D

10.2 would be better. 10.3 would be better still. 10.4 would be...well, that's debatable. A lot of people still think 10.3 is more solid. So I'd recommend at least 10.3, and 10.4 if you want to be on the cutting edge.

There's no reason to take baby steps here. You'll definitely want at least 10.2. It's a lot faster and better than 10.1, and a lot of software won't even run on 10.1 anymore.

If you're going to install any version of OS X, make you sure you upgrade your iMac's firmware first. Also, make sure you have enough RAM. Any less than 256MB is probably too little.

Yes. No reason to take anything less than 10.2. If your machine supports it, I'd go to 10.3.9 as straight as possible, i.e. you'd have to buy a retail version of Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther". As Mikuro has stated, upgrading the firmware is _important_. It should already be on the 10.3 installation disk, but to be safe, download the newest firmware upgrader from apple.com/support (I don't know the exact link, sorry...). Then I'd make a full backup of your machine's current state if possible before clean installing 10.3.

Back