Upgrading from Tiger to Leopard: a nightmare!

guerriglia

Registered
Hello.
I upgraded my OS X from Tiger 10.4.11 to Leopard 10.5.
I still have all my applications (although some software doesn't work anymore) and pictures folders in my two volumes (HD and HD2), but all the icons (folders, pictures, documents, etc.) I had on my desktop before upgrading are gone and can't find them. I also lost all my preferences (bookmarks, ftp data, etc.), my contacts in the Address Book and all my emails in Mail.
PLEASE HELP ME!
Thank you very much.

*Scratches Head*

I never formally upgraded from Tiger to Leopard--my Tiger Widdle Pismo was replaced by my current Machine which came with Leopard installed. So . . . when I simply had my account transferred, everything was there--icons, settings, you name it except for some simple defaults I had to tweak. I did not go from Tiger to straight update.

So . . . how did you upgrade?

Since you wisely choose to back everything up you may consider Clean Install--erase the primary drive and install a fresh OS--THEN connect your secondary drives that contain your back-ups and allow Migration Assistant to bring you over.

However . . . you may STILL have to tweak settings. Further, you will need to update. While you are "in" Leopard now, download the Combo-Updates--go to www.apple.com--and stick them on one of your HDs. That way if you Clean and Install, you can simply update safely--over Al Gore's Interwebs you can get glitches that can cause problems that generate threads HERE!

Then you need to update your software--AppFresh is one program that will search, but most will do it automatically if you click for updates. Further, you often have to re-enter license codes since software people have found NOT allowing you to simply copy over Software to be a "good thing" from a business sense!

But . . .

. . . is it worth that effort? Why not reboot in your drive that contains the "Old You"--copy your settings so you know what you need to change--and just fix that in your now updates Main drive?

Or am I misunderstanding your problem?

--J.D.

Did you choose Upgrade or Archive & Install? If the latter, was Preserve Users & Network Settings checked (the default)? Ultimately, is any of your missing stuff in a Previous Systems folder in your hard disk?

Thanks guys for your kind help.
I won't be able to check my computer until Monday.
However, the way I installed Leopard is very simple and straightforward (I'd say 'dumb' now that I'm stuck in this nightmare): I inserted the installation cd and followed the procedure. Somebody told me that the problem may be due to the fact that I changed my user name. Does it make sense?

'Did you choose Upgrade or Archive & Install? If the latter, was Preserve Users & Network Settings checked (the default)? Ultimately, is any of your missing stuff in a Previous Systems folder in your hard disk?'
I didn't check anything and haven't checked if there's a Previous Systems folder. I'll do so on Monday and will get back to you.

"Why not reboot in your drive that contains the "Old You"--copy your settings so you know what you need to change--and just fix that in your now updates Main drive?"
How can I do that? Where do I find my 'Old me'?

THANK YOU!

Yes, changing your username without following a specific set of instructions for doing so will make your stuff disappear, though it's still there. Here's Apple's official way to do it. You might be able to bring your stuff back first by changing your username back and restarting.

I'm back.
Thanks Earthsaver for your help. Unfortunately that way (You might be able to bring your stuff back first by changing your username back and restarting) doesn't seem to work. I do have a Previous System Folder, but I can't understand how to work with it. Even the Apple official way doen't work.
What can I do?
THANK YOU!

Is any of your stuff in the Previous System folder (Users)? If so, you should log into Root per Apple's instructions, rename the previous Users subfolder containing your stuff to your preferred username, move the folder to the new Users folder on your hard disk, and complete Apple's steps ensuring that there's a user in Accounts with the same name.

Thanks Earthsaver!
I try to log in as Root, but I get this message:
Can't connect to server- Directory Services may not be installed on the remote server, they may be turned off or the URL may be have been entered incorrectly. Actually, I don't know what I have to type where it says "Address" in the Root log in window.
I do have stuff in the previous system folder, but the folder icons have a "No access" sign on.
THANK YOU!

That's why you need to log in as Root to see those items. Root is not an address nor remote. Are you not able to open the Directory Services application? Logging into root, once that user is enabled, requires logging out of your current user (Apple menu) and into root with the password you created in the previous step.

Hi.
I logged out and now I have two users, but I still have the same desktop and applications. Like I said, I might be doing something wrong with the Root log in. I get that message I told you. I'm going crazy...

Which reset password option are you seeking and why? Reset password is a utility on your install disc, not in Mac OS X.

I'm trying to do what the link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1528 says, but it doesn't look like what I should be doing. I know I'm getting closer, but I must be screwing up somewhere.
Like I said, I enabled the Root, but I have a problem wit the log in process. I get this message:
Can't connect to server- Directory Services may not be installed on the remote server, they may be turned off or the URL may be have been entered incorrectly. Actually, I don't know what I have to type where it says "Address" in the Root log in window.
I logged out and tried to log in with the second option, but nothing changes.
A desperate cry from Italy: PLEASE HELP!

There is no dedicated Root login window. When you log out of your current user, there should be a choice for Other…, which will reveal username and password fields. Type root in username and the password you created for it in password and log in.

Sorry if I misspoke before; you're not looking for Directory Services. Be sure you're using the application called Directory Utility. There's a difference.

This tells you how desperate I am...
I did what you just told me and I am able to log in as Root: I see everything exactly as it was right after the installation of Leopard.
That's a progress. Now I need to see what I had BEFORE the installation...
Thank you!
(If you ever come to Italy, your first dinner is on me!)

Now you should have permission to see inside your old user folder in Previous Systems and move that content back into place in your new user folder. Follow the rest of Apple's instructions regarding username change.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It works!!!! There's all my stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!
How can i thank you in the forum?? You're wondeful!!!
Onely one thing: I'm too excited to fix everything now. If you don't mind, I'll get back to you tomorrow, so that I do the transfer of files properly. Is that ok?
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!
(However, I think I didn't fine my email and my address book, but only the desktop)

Email is stored in the Mail folder in your Library. Address Book is in ~/Library/Application Support.

If you like, you can thank us by clicking the Thanks button in the forum and/or by making a donation to the site.

Back