Upgrading my 8600

Erriversable

Registered
Hi everyone,

I have a powermac 8600 and I don't want to part with it. The computer has never given me any problems and I want some way to upgrade it myself. I want it to about a 700Mhz processor a new video card, cd-rom, and about a 30-40gb hard disk. I also want to upgrade the ram. I to put in the parts myself so does anyone have any suggestions on where I could get info. about upgrading myself and info. about the extent to which I can upgrade this computer.

P.S. My friend has bought a powermac 8600/9600 case. All thats in this case is the power supply and the fan. He needs to buy the motherboard and all the parts. Any pointers where he could find these parts and find info. on how to integrate them into this case.

THANKS

Attachments

• untitled1.bmp
    39.5 KB · Views: 14
Oh, please, buy a mew mac instead ;) . RAM for the 8600 costs WAAY too much (I paid 150 $ for 2x64 MB), and 700 MHz processor upgrade cards for it aren't available. And if they were, they would've costed about 500 $ or something... HD's too are expensive and slow, because they use "oldworld-SCSI". Yes, you can buy a Firewire card and a Firewire HD, but you won't be able to boot from it...
So, upgrading a 8600 to the specs you want is impossible, and would cost more than a dual G4 ;)...
But if you manage to put a newworld G3/G4-motherboard in it, then go on! :D

I have seen your same configuration and the same wanna-be, for upgradeing as you say, with helps, hints, how-tos, at:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.org
I think it is a 'MUST' for every custom-powermac power user.
Bye, hope that's worth.

Actually the 8600 is a great system to upgrade. RAM is not that expensive ($25 for 64 MB DIMMs and $40 for 128 MB DIMMs at www.macsolutions.com), and you have your choice of processors from Sonnet ($150 for G3/400 up to $400 for G4/450 at www.sonnettech.com). As for drives, the on board SCSI 2 is not that slow, but they are expensive. Sonnet makes a ATA PCI card that lets you use ATA-66/100/133 drives for about $100.

What is important to remember is what you already have on your system that newer systems don't have... AV ports! S-video in/out, RCA video in/out, RCA audio (stereo) in/out, all built in. And you still have 2 of 3 PCI slots open for a better video card if you want it.

Maybe I'm not adding this up right, is that as much as the dual G4?:confused:

No... OK, the 8600 is a great system to upgrade, but buying a new system is better. The system bus in the 8600 is waay to slow, 50 MHz, and a 700 MHz G3 card wouln't have any sense. Listen, Mac OS X 10.1 is running faster on my iMac 333 MHz than on my 8600/400 MHz G3.. much faster! The system bus is too slow, and ATA disks won't make things much faster, either, because the PCI bus is slooow too, 33 MHz. Forget it. Get a new mac ;)

Back